Friday, January 8, 2016

Vienna Christmas markets



Right before Christmas, we skipped town for a few days and met up with some friends in Vienna, Austria, to check out the Christmas markets.

When we returned to Moscow, I discovered that something had happened to my computer while I was away. The whole thing was dead. Everything - photos, articles, a short story collection I was working on - all of it was gone.  I had to erase the hard drive and upload the files from the offsite server where they reside. Alas, the files are still uploading, 2 weeks later. It's going to be awhile before I'm back up and running.

All this to say, I'm a bit behind in blogging the holidays. And also: back up your hard drive! (Especially if you live in Russia...)

So. Where were we? Vienna. The last time we were there, our eldest was just a few months old. So it's been awhile.

It was cold and damp and foggy most every day we were there. But there were friends, and there was gluhwein, and there was market food, so it was all good.


St. Stephen's was just down the road from our hotel, and the market there was one of my favorites.

Hofburg Palace.

Nighttime street.

Cookies!

It was indescribably cold that night. Pretty sure they were just hugging for warmth.

A.

S and N.

Foxie. The best souvenir ever.

My first baby is so much taller than me now.

Our second try at the Rathaus market. Do not go there on a weekend evening. It was crazy crowded and no fun at all.  This time around it was much better.

With the GlobeHoppers!


First gluhwein of the morning.

First cocoa.

First cider.
Me n B in front of St. Stephen's.


While we were there we went to see Star Wars. Because nerds. It took a couple of tries to get the right language. And then some of us even went to the Star Wars Identities exhibit. I'm told it was excellent, but I didn't go. I'm not the nerdiest member of the tribe.

Schonbrunn Palace has another really nice Christmas market.


Look closely: We got photobombed by a drunken horse.

At the subway station.



Our last night at St. Stephen's.


We collect nativity sets. At least we did! This is our last one for awhile - I think we're up past two dozen at this point. It's kind of a problem for us.




0 comments:

Please. Write your own stuff.