Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Saving the world, one truffle at a time.

There are people in the U.S. Department of State who are doing globally significant, world-changing work.



I am not one of them.




I work here in Moscow, part time.  I should tell you about that job some day, because I rather like it, even if I’m not exactly changing the world. My full time job here, my real job, is the wife-and-mom gig, which I either love or hate, depending upon the day.

Gone are the days when the Foreign Service officer’s evaluation included a bit about whether his (always a “he”) spouse was doing her job as support staff well enough.  Still – if you’re married to a Foreign Service officer these days, chances are good that you are the support staff, even if there isn’t a space for you on the evaluation form anymore.  That’s me: part time for pay, full time in support of my husband and kids.

Last week, I clocked a ton of overtime for my full time job. You see, we planned to invite the whole office over for a little holiday party. And by “little,” I mean we only invited 100+ people. (Once you add in the Marines, the Seabees, the engineers, the local staff, the agents, and everyone who helps them out day-to-day, it turns out to be a pretty big group.)

Which is how I found myself elbow deep in chocolate for an entire week, making Oreo truffles, Bailey’s Irish cream truffles, multiple batches of fudge, caramel corn, mint truffles, walnut cookies, 7-layer bars, and I don’t even remember what else. At one point it got so bad that I was dreaming about rolling out truffles.


But it was all worth it in the end. The party was crowded and crazy and loud. Much mulled wine was consumed. Many laughs were shared. And best of all? There are leftover truffles for Christmas day, which is approaching far too quickly for me.


1 comments:

Sa Su said... [Reply]

Wow! Could you share the recipes?? I so do like your blog and style of writing! I have been reading it for a couple of years! I don't think I have commented before! Anyway, I hope you will continue blogging for a very long time!/ S Susan from Stockholm

Please. Write your own stuff.