Friday, November 20, 2015

Honey. Fat. Markets. Anything but current events.

I have nothing to add to the conversation about current events. I am terribly sad and afraid for our small world - that is all you need to know. If you know me in real life, you know what's going through my mind. But this isn't the place to put the details. Not now, anyway.

I have another article in TIME magazine today, about keeping your kids safe overseas. Go take a look, please - it's good advice even for those of you living stateside.

We had some decent snow earlier in the week, but today it's rainy and dreary in Moscow.

A few of us decided to go to Dorogomilovo Rynok to get our vegetable shopping done for the weekend. We had a new lady in tow, so we took her to all of our favorite vendors so they'd know her: the cheese & yogurt lady, the honey lady, the nut guy, the spice guy, the vegetable folks, etc.

The honey lady is my favorite, because she gives us samples of every kind of honey - whether or not we want them. She knows my favorite kind by now, but still she has me sample each new kind. One of these days, I'm going to learn the words for the different plants and flowers so I know where all of these honeys come from.

Yeah, we sampled them all. That dark one tastes like the cows walked through the meadow just ahead of the bees - blech. That white one in the middle? SO good.


I'm almost out of bee pollen (I add it to my yogurt and granola). I thought about buying some, but my eyes were drawn to the bottles on either side of it:

Blurry picture. But on the right side of the frame, there? That's a bottle of bear fat. Yes. You read that right. Bear fat.

And that right there is badger fat. Yum.
Back in Kazakhstan, they used to sell jars of dog fat in the markets in wintertime. A friend insisted it was the best cure for colds - just add a spoonful to hot water, drink, and you'll be better in no time.

(I never tried it. Because no. Just no.)

This is the first time I've seen bear fat around these parts. I took a picture, because all these years later, I've always wished I took pictures of the dog fat. I did not, however, ask her what it's for. Next time, I promise, I'll find out and report back to you.

My refrigerator is stocked with honey and checil cheese and mandarin oranges, so I'm ready to brave whatever Moscow throws my way this weekend.

Be safe out there, wherever you are. And if, like me, you're stressing about the state of the world, go out and do something kind for a neighbor. Any neighbor will do. Just - find the thing that is within your circle of influence, and make that thing better. Make somebody smile. Give someone a hug. Buy some flowers. Register to run the Virtual 5K for refugees.

Enjoy your weekend.

2 comments:

Mrs. Dreaming said... [Reply]

I need to figure out how not to engage. I'm scared for my Turkish born, naturalized hubby. It is getting scary state-side. Too much vitriol for me to absorb.

SmitoniusAndSonata said... [Reply]

In theory badger fat's no worse than goose fat ... in a illustration by Beatrix Potter , they're both appealing . But I know which I'm going to roast the potatoes in this Christmas ...
And you're right . We musn't live our lives in fear

Please. Write your own stuff.