Thursday, October 23, 2014

Brrrrr again (maybe I'll just use that title from now until April).

Good morning from Moscow, where according to news reports, we are experiencing the coldest October on record since 1982.

Sure, it's sunny and beautiful outside:


But how can go you outside when you open up your phone and it tells you this?



I'm not worried, though - you can see that the high today will be a balmy 23 degrees Fahrenheit, so I'm sure I'll be fine.  And by Sunday, when it's supposed to be 35, I'll likely be running around town in a tank top and shorts.

It doesn't help that I have friends all over the middle east right now, letting me know the current temperatures in Amman, in Abu Dhabi, in Muscat, in Riyadh. Apparently they all think I need to know that they are sweating buckets in the blistering sweltering punishing desert heat. That doesn't help me, people! Stop telling me about how the water in your swimming pool is a chilly 78 degrees right now or I'll unfriend you, swear I will. I'm looking at you, Mr. I-know-what-you-mean-I-was-walking-in-Swefiyeh-last-night-and-it-was-in-the-50s-boy-was-I-ever-cold. You're not being helpful.

You know what is helpful? This:



I've been having trouble baking here - seems the baking powder at the commissary might be to blame for the fact that my bran muffins and quick breads all taste like the inside of a tin can. So my lovely parents sent me some aluminum-free baking powder - and a gigantic Costco bag of chocolate chips.  Thanks, mom and dad! Today seems like a baking sort of a day to me, wouldn't you agree?

Maybe if I sit on the floor next to my oven with my eyes closed while the cookies bake, I can pretend I'm poolside at the Dead Sea.

3 comments:

Popster said... [Reply]

The last Br blog had seven r's and this one only 5. Does that mean it's getting warmer?

Katherine Fashion Corner said... [Reply]

Join my blog http://katherinefashion24.blogspot.com/

Sherwood family said... [Reply]

We were just discussing the possibility of Moscow for our next post. Thanks for reminding me why I'm NOT going along with that plan.

Please. Write your own stuff.