Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas from Amman



There we were, the night before Christmas, posing in front of Paleo's tree. I have to write that so that, years from now, I'm not confused, wondering where all of those ornaments disappeared to. Future self: this wasn't your tree! Paleo invited us to a Christmas Eve dinner at which there were in attendance: Paleos, gluten-intolerant, vegans, vegetarians, lactose-allergic and I don't know what all sorts of people. Pretty impressively accommodating spread she had. Her husband VP is visiting from Afghanistan, as is uhh-Ron's wife, so there were lots of happy kids there. 

Of course, we had to leave early to get ready for the big day. Normally I'm just the assistant present-putting-under-tree person, but this year it was all on me. The pressure! I managed to get everything wrapped and under the tree, plus all stockings stuffed, before midnight. I amaze myself.

Shay took this picture. He titled it "Dad's Point of View," because this is the view Bart had of our marathon present opening extraganza, from up there on his Skype perch.
Told you I made a cream cheese braid for breakfast. Here's proof, again, in case Future Self doesn't believe I was ever so competent. Also, Future Self: please don't lose this recipe again.

And on to the reason for the season: presents!

Ainsley asked Santa for a "rainbow unicorn." Mrs. Claus despaired of ever finding such a thing and immediately took to drink after she saw that at the top of the list. Mr. Claus, never one to run from a challenge, found it on amazon. Mr. Claus kicks ass.

Look! There's Mr. Claus himself! We found a way to get him in the family photos after all.


This girl loves herself some princess gear. It's a little bit scary how much she adores all things pink and sparkly.

Blankets. The surprise hit of the day. Who knew?

Here's Kyra, showing daddy her new lap desk. She also got a locking diary, and she spent pretty much the whole afternoon on the couch, writing secrets in her diary, which was propped on her lap desk.

First Ainsley shows me her new outfit....

...and then she shows daddy.

Action shot of Yogi eating wrapping paper. Because it's there. And apparently delicious.

The womenfolk...

He looks like his dad.

Ha! I'm still taller...

Ainsley trying on a new princess dress. Because the 30,000 dresses she already owns  Simply. Won't.  Do.

The girl knows how to accessorize!

Kyra photo bomb...

All together now: Awww....

Proof: we made it to church. The kids were spectacularly well-behaved. A Christmas miracle made just for a tired mom.

Because this year, we're determined to take a photo in front of every tree in Amman. This one was at the church.

The view from the church. Beautiful view, beautiful day.

Still a work day for these folks.

And that's it. I am so, so tired. I can't even be bothered to proofread.

Merry, merry Christmas to all of my friends and loved ones, all across this globe of ours. I wish I could throw my arms around you and give you a big hug. All of you. Some more than others. You know who you are...

1 comments:

Nomads By Nature said... [Reply]

Merry Christmas to you all too!

Please. Write your own stuff.