Monday, September 9, 2013

This Means War

I know: I owe you a blog post. Apparently my radio silence has been troubling for some of you.

The thing is, everything in the region, along with everything in my head and heart, is in utter turmoil. I don't know for certain what to say other than:

"This post reflects my views alone and does not reflect the views of the United States government."

With that out of the way, I can add: write to your congressperson. Right now. It matters.

Other than that, though, what can I say? I work for the U.S. government. I can't really write in this space what I think about our probable next moves, or whether I agree with them. But I am here, in the middle east, where our probable next moves and the potential aftermath mean everything to me, to my family. This isn't faraway news for me. This is family, and friends, and home.

It is scary, watching this all unfold in real time just down the road. It is scary, talking to my Jordanian friends, who are worried about what all of this means for the future of their country. Not the future in some vague, undefined, my country tis of thee kind of way, but in a what about tomorrow? way. They are understandably frightened about what comes next for Jordan. And they are powerless to stop the storm they see heading their way.

I, too, am powerless to stop the storm heading our way.

All I can do is pray. Not for peace, exactly. I'm too jaded to think that peace is possible here. I think all sides will keep fighting it out, over days and weeks and even years, despite anything we might do or not do to intervene. I don't think my prayers can stop what's happening here, what's going to happen here. No, my prayers are selfish. My prayers are personal. Really? I'm just praying that my family, all of my family, stays out of the crosshairs. I'm praying for my friends here, too, that every form of potential tragedy passes them by.

Selfish prayers, indeed, I admit. But I am feeling selfish, and so I pray. In the middle of this awful, terrible, unstoppable storm, I pray simply: keep my loved ones out of harm's way.

You: pray too. And then, when you've finished praying whatever prayers you hold in your heart, write to your congressperson. Our government is using your voice to make itself heard in the middle east. You need to make sure that our government knows what you want it to say.

6 comments:

Nicole said... [Reply]

Stay safe out there!

Becca said... [Reply]

Are they listening? I really don't know. And I really don't know what I want them to do anyway. Chemical weapons are horrendous, so are maniaical dictators, but so are the actions of some rebels. I don't know if action will make it better or worse.

Laura said... [Reply]

Amen on all of it. Will be praying along with you, Donna.

Nomads By Nature said... [Reply]

Riding the tide with you and praying right along side. All selfish ones too. Stay safe as these next days and weeks unfold.

Popster said... [Reply]

I sent my messages to the President, my Senators, and my Representaive. I don't know if they'll take the advice of an old former, and proud, Marine but I gave it my best shot.

Hannelene www.vitalmommy.com said... [Reply]

Donna, stay safe. As a Cairo evacuee, I have been following the Middle East with my heart in my throat the last few months.

I don't know what solution to ask for, so I pray that calm heads and compassionate hearts prevail. I pray for the safety of our family and friends.

Please. Write your own stuff.