Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I Think He Got Taller

What a long, strange summer it's been. Happy, sad, lonely, busy, bored. Sometimes all at once. I'm a jumble of emotions over here, really. A mess.

But tomorrow is August already. I have one more day of work before I leave for a little vacation with the kids. By the time I get back, there will be less than two short weeks left of summer. I was dreading this long stretch of loneliness, of single-mom-ness, of trying to feed/entertain the kids and hold down a job simultaneously, but it seems I'm going to make it through. Barely, but that's okay. I'm going to make it.

Shay came back to me today, and I think he got taller.

He left, you'll remember, on the Fourth of July, and he flew back today, telling tales of Disney World and baseball camp and thunderstorms and shopping malls and drama. His suitcase is full of new baseball gear, clothes I've never seen him wear, and a school backpack I didn't help choose. Oh, and he brought back presents for his siblings.

I think he got taller.

He wants a new haircut, he tells me. And he needs new baseball gear. He laughed until he cried at dinner, telling me something funny CL said one night, but he was laughing so hard I couldn't understand what he was saying. No matter. It was an inside joke. I'm not sure I would've understood regardless.

I think he got taller. He put his laundry in the basket, hung up his new shirts, lined his new shoes up next to his closet, asked to go to the pharmacy to buy new shampoo and things.

While I was busy working this summer - writing memos, editing press releases, summarizing news headlines - he was busy growing. In so many ways, he was growing.

I'm so proud of my baby. So glad he had this experience. So happy he's back home where he belongs.


Shay and some Amman friends at a mini-reunion in DC.

0 comments:

Please. Write your own stuff.