Friday, July 5, 2013

Another Goodbye

Yesterday morning I set the alarm for an obscenely early hour. I left the house just as the sun was rising, and I'm pretty sure my eyes were only watering because of the early morning glare on the windshield. That must've been the reason.

Shay was with me, having given his little brother a big hug and an "I love you" before we walked out the door - the girls were still asleep.

We stopped by CL's house to pick him up, and then the three of us drove out into the quiet morning, heading toward the airport.

I dropped Shay and CL curbside at the airport, watching them both wheel their luggage away from me until they passed through the doors, out of sight.

Such a strange experience that was.

CL's family is in the States already, and since Shay is friends with both of his kids, he and STJ offered to let Shay go stay with them for the summer. So off they went into the morning, Florida-bound, with plans for baseball camp and Disney and all sorts of adventures.

It was, well, words fail here, really, but it was so kind of CL and STJ to welcome my son into their home for the month. Here, he's too old for summer camp, and since I'm working full-time, his summer would otherwise have been spent in front of the computer, alone. Instead, he'll be hanging with his Amman buddies, having a mini-reunion of sorts with old friends who left Amman a year ago and seeing something new of the world.

Of course, he'll also be figuring out how to fit into someone else's family. CL texted me before they boarded in Amman to report that Shay had uttered exactly two words, both in response to direct questioning. And this with a man at whose house he can be found pretty much every weekend! So he'll have a challenge ahead, learning how to ask for what he needs when his mom isn't there to step in.

And my challenge? To not worry, to not hover, to not email every day asking how he's doing - and to not miss him too much.

He's still my baby, after all.

Shay and friends in Egypt just 2 months ago.


2 comments:

Dorothy Handelman said... [Reply]

Donna-
Thanks for sharing a poignant milestone in your family. I know the feeling you describe so well. Whenever one of my offspring would leave on an adventure- the best part was seeing them in the flesh upon their return and the confidence and excitement they gained from the chance to spread to their wings. Hope your son has a wonderful month and know he will be missing you all the while as you and your family at home will miss him.

MaryjoO said... [Reply]

Oh my. I am so "not caught up" on your blog but did know your 365 day countdown was about to begin. We'll all take deep breaths for you so you can get on with the rest of it. You survived pretty tough times when we were all together, so I know you'll get through this. It won't always be easy or fun, but believe me, we all will be thinking and rooting for you every day.

And just to remind you of one part of "that time": I remember you coming to my office after Shay was bit in the face/head by your dog. People were telling you "aww, keep the dog." All I could think was if Shay had moved 1 inch during that time, the bite/s would have been dangerously close to his eye. Still makes me shudder to think about it. and ... I don't remember if you got rid of the dog or not. But here Shay is now, off on an airplane, while I remember him waving to you (as in go away, Mom, I'm having too much fun) during the Halloween costume walk through of the nursery school. Hugs to all of you.
Maryjo

Please. Write your own stuff.