Saturday, May 25, 2013

Luxor (and that's a wrap!)

Tricked you! After my last post, admit it, you alhamdolillah'ed because you thought I was finally finished posting photos of Egypt.

How wrong you were.

But this is it! I promise! No more vacation photos after this until I save up enough money for another vacation. That could be awhile: I have four kids to put through college, after all.

So where were we? Oh, that's right: Egypt! Have I mentioned recently that we went to Egypt? Our last stop was Luxor, and our morning started with the sounds of Aidan vomiting. Well, actually, that isn't quite accurate. I awoke around 4am, when the boat took off sailing for Luxor and had to pass through some locks on the way.

(I was determined to wake up when we went through the lock so I could go up on deck and take pictures for my dad. My dad, if you didn't know, is a little bit obsessed with locks. Every time we go to Seattle, we take the kids to the locks and watch the boats making their way through while the salmon climb the fish ladder. I think my dad loves watching the grandkids watch the boats. I think he's also hatching a scheme to sneak onto one of the boats when no one is looking so he can float off to anywhere they'll take him. He hasn't discussed this plan aloud, mind you, but you can see it in his eyes.)

Anyway, I woke up and I heard shouting and felt bumping and I knew: it was time to go upstairs with the camera. But my bed was so cozy and it was too dark to take decent pictures and anyway, my dad's been thru the friggin' Panama Canal, so did I really need to send him a blurry photo of some measly little lock in the middle of nowhere?

I stayed in bed. And it wasn't until an hour later that I awoke to the sound of Aidan, sick.

It was clear that he wasn't going to be able to go on our planned excursions for the day. So after much reasonable, rational, even-tempered discussion, Bart and I came to the joint good-parenting conclusion that the best thing would be to have Bart stay on the boat with him in the morning, and I'd stay with him in the afternoon.

And that is how I ended up going to the Valley of the Kings (No photos allowed! Aren't you relieved?), where King Tut's tomb was discovered in the 1920s, the Colossi of Memnon and the alabaster factory with just three kids in tow. Bart took Shay on the afternoon excursions and I stayed behind on the boat with the rest of the kids. By late afternoon, Aidan was feeling better, so we hung out by ourselves at the pool until sunset.

That night was our last night on the boat. At some point in the middle of the night, my doorbell rang. When I staggered to the door to open it, Shay rushed past me (he was sleeping in a separate room), ran to the bathroom and proceeded to vomit everywhere. (Jill P, I know you are shaking your head sympathetically right now. I can feel it. Someday, you and I will co-author a book, Vomiting Our Way Across the Globe.)

And that was the end of our vacation. Shay was sick the whole way back to Amman, poor guy, but he managed to hold it together when it was time to board our flights, so we made it home without question.

Okay, so it wasn't the best ending to a vacation ever. But I'm so glad we decided to go. I've been kind of fascinated with Egypt ever since King Tut came to Los Angeles when I was a little girl, and now I can say I've been.

What's next? I don't know. If I had all the time in the world, and money were no object, there are all sorts of places I'd go, starting with Zanzibar, probably. Because: Zanzibar. It just sounds all romantical somehow. But I'll settle for a night at the Dead Sea if I must.

Hatshepsut Temple

The view from the top, looking back.



Working on an alabaster pot.

I would call these "ancient tools," except they apparently still use them to carve alabaster.

In front of the Colossi of Memnon.

Showing off their alabaster statuettes: Kyra got a cat, and Ainsley got - what else? - a crocodile.

Bart took the rest of these pictures. So you're on your own here, guessing what you're looking at.
A temple, maybe?






1 comments:

Betsy said... [Reply]

Incredible pictures! Thank you so much for sharing your amazing travels!

Please. Write your own stuff.