Wednesday, November 21, 2012

No Regrets

I have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving season. Truly I do.

For starters, of course, there's my family, all of whom are healthy - unless you count Kyra's raging ear infection, which, if that's the worst that the universe is throwing at you, health-wise, the day before Thanksgiving, well, you're doing okay.

And if you do count the ear infection, then you have to be thankful for the husband who took her to the doctor's office in the morning while you drank your tea and cubed bread for stuffing.

And of course you'll also need to be thankful for the fact that, while the doctor wasn't there and the nurse couldn't prescribe antibiotics, you live in a country where you don't need a prescription for antibiotics. So you can just walk to the pharmacy and pick up whatever you want.

And then you'll need to be thankful for your pharmacist friend, who told you exactly what medicine to buy.

So yes. I'm thankful for my healthy, mostly-happy family.

And I'm thankful for my friends all across this globe of ours. I'm thankful that I can find people who are willing to text, or Skype, or call, or facebook, at pretty much any hour of the day or night when I need the company.

So of course I have to be thankful for the coffee that keeps me awake the next day. Because I'm often up way too late talking or texting with loved ones, but I still have to show up for work the next day.

Which leads me to my job. Of course I'm thankful for my job. Especially the paycheck portion of it. It's all kinds of fun to get a paycheck at the end of the week rather than an extra large pile of laundry to show for my efforts.

Today, though, I'm thankful that I didn't have to go to work. I took the day off so I could start cooking. Because tomorrow we'll have friends over, and I'm thankful for that, too. I hope they like cranberries, because I found them today at the fourth store I went to in search of celery. I found celery and cranberries both, under one roof! That never happens. Of course, I paid fourteen dollars for the cranberries. But, hello? Cranberries! This is big news, people. Totally worth fourteen dollars. I already used them to make Aunt Carolyn's sugar-coated cranberries. Also: I already ate about $8 worth of aforementioned sugar-coated cranberries. Damn if those aren't the best food in the world.

We still have no idea where we're going next, but our time here is winding down, too fast for me. I'm thankful for all of my friends here at post, who take my kids for sleepovers and invite me over for dinner and drive me home when I'm car-less and make me laugh when I'm lonely. If I count up my life's blessings in friends, well, then, I am wealthy indeed. Same, I guess, as if I re-sell those cranberries.

I've been on a crazy ride lately, but I'm going to say, again and again, that I have no regrets. I'm thankful for what I have and for where I am, even when I can't quite make sense of how I got here or where I'm heading next - literally or figuratively.

It's a crazy life, but I'm thankful for it. All of it.




2 comments:

Dorothy Handelman said... [Reply]

Well said and like yourself- I too am happy for life in general. The good! which makes the bad!! and the ugly!!! that much more bearable.
A happy Thanksgiving to you and yours from our fair and weathered spot in Sleepy Hollow.

(and of course I am really appreciating the mounds of fresh cranberries now..........)

MaryjoO said... [Reply]

So glad to know that we are not the only ones in the world that have paid a ba-zillion dollars for a food item -- $75 in today's prices for salad items at Xmas in Moscow in the 1980's and about $75 for bacon in Almaty for a Julia Child beef bourguignon buffet dish and more ... so YES on your cranberries!

Speaking of cranberries, can you share the family recipe you mention above? I LOVE cranberries and am always looking for another fix.

Hugs to you all, and I know you will wrap your guests in warmth and fun at dinner!
Maryjo and John

Please. Write your own stuff.