Friday, August 31, 2012

Work Week One: Finished

I did it! I made it through an entire week of full time employment! (Okay, barely. But whatever). And in the process, I learned a few things about myself and my family.

1. I can survive back-to-back days without wearing jeans. (Get your minds out of the gutter, people. I am referring to the fact that I had to wear fancy clothes. I promise you, I was not pants-less in the office. They frown on that sort of thing in government work.)

2. Just knowing that there is a pair of flip flops stashed under my desk cheers me up.

3. If I don't make dinner, no one will. We will starve. Or we will become good friends with the pizza guy.

4. Even my children have a limit to how many times they will eat take out pizza in a week. Who knew, right?

5. No matter their age, when forced to pack their own lunches, all kids will pack exactly one sandwich and one fruit roll up. Nothing else.

5(b). Need to order more fruit roll ups, ASAP.

6. If my husband does manage to make it home from work early, and is witness to the post-work bedtime routine, gawd help him. The sight of his wild-eyed, stressed-out, practically-in-tears-from-exhaustion-and-too-much-take-out-pizza wife will send him fleeing the house, mumbling about some important meeting he has to attend right now, somewhere far from the house, sorry, gotta run, who are you and what have you done with my wife?

7. The next time I decide to take on a brand new job, I will make certain that it does not start the same week as school starts. Bonus points if my husband is not acting DCM that week, too.

Working moms across the globe, I salute you. Y'all kick some serious ass.


2 comments:

Rachel said... [Reply]

"If I don't make dinner, no one will. We will starve. Or we will become good friends with the pizza guy."
Nailed it.

Heather Dray said... [Reply]

Oh, girl! I have papa johns and McDonald's on my "favorites" in my cell phone. Bonus points that they speak English and deliver super fast. Congrats on a great, but crazy, first week!

Please. Write your own stuff.