Thursday, August 30, 2012

First Day of School, 2012

The day is finally here. This morning, for the first time ever in the history of me, all four of my children climbed aboard the same bus and drove away without me. Bereft, I am.

They fight sometimes. What kids don't? But this morning, the boys helped the girls buckle in. Shay sat next to Ainsley in front, with the little kids, and Aidan sat next to Kyra. I didn't ask them to do that. They thought of it on their own. My babies. Forming their own team - one that doesn't include me.

Today, I am so happy that I have a full time job in addition to this parenting gig of mine. Because instead of sitting at home and moping, I can throw myself into something more important than me.

Though I'll confess, I did spend some time backtracking through my blog this morning, looking for the photos from last year's first day of school, for both the boys and the girls. And the year before. And even before, back in Beijing. My, life, she is flashing before my eyes this morning.

My babies.




Taken two days ago, when the three biggest started school.

Fourth grade

First grade

Seventh grade

And today, Ainsley started pre-K.

Gee, do you think Ainsley's excited?

3 comments:

Heather Dray said... [Reply]

Oh, your youngest's face in that final photo is priceless. She is super excited! Hope your kids have a great year!

Dorothy Handelman said... [Reply]

Always happy to learn your family's goings-on. And yes your youngest clearly is he most excited about the beginning of you-know-what. My kids go back to school in a week, and my eldest, the seasoned veteran, is back at college and ripping through the Amazon account to get all the vitals for life in the dorm. (I'm sure Snooki's bio is required reading somewhere..)
Glad to hear that you are employed full time so instead of feeling the awe inducing nuttiness of how life flies by when the kids climb the stairs of the school bus and buckle in, you are ensconced in the world of work feeling adult like and...paid!

ElleBee said... [Reply]

Hope your family and colleagues are safe. Praying for all of you, with all of this craziness going on.

Please. Write your own stuff.