Thursday, April 12, 2012

Inappropriate Jokes and Other Perils of Foreign Service Living

It was brought to my attention tonight that I haven't blogged in approximately forever.

I was sitting there at the Embassy, having dinner and perhaps a margarita or three with friends, some of whom pointed out that one shouldn't rest on one's blog laurels for too long if one hopes to keep one's audience.

True, that. But I've been a bit busy these days. Which means lots of blog fodder, but little actual blogging time. We had six house guests for the past two weeks - they only just left yesterday - so we've been all over the Kingdom, and if ever I manage to chase my son away from the computer long enough to get a turn on it, I might have some pictures to post of our adventures. We went to the Dead Sea, and the Baptism Site, and Wadi Rum, and Aqaba, and Pharoah's Island, and Jerash - all over the course of a couple of long weekends. We even managed to fit in a trip to the emergency room.

Our guests are stateside once again as of this morning. We were sad to say goodbye to them, but I suppose it was time to get back to real life.

Real life.

I had a 3-hour lunch with an awesome group of ladies today just as soon as I finished my work day. Not bad for my first foray into real life.

And then I had dinner with another group of friends at the Embassy. Our dinner conversation was full of wildly inappropriate jokes, and try as I might I just can't figure a way to re-tell any of them in polite blog company. But, oh, my face hurts from laughing.

About half of the people at my table for dinner are going to be gone from here in a few short months, and it's funny how much you can miss people before they've even left. You form such tight bonds, so quickly, when you're all tossed into an Embassy together for a couple of years. And it's not easy to move on, or to know that your friends are moving on.

It's nice, though, to have friends who can make you laugh with their house buying schemes and job woes and general zaniness. We all need friends like those, don't you think? I'm glad to have acquired a few new ones here.

Now. Tomorrow is a marathon day of baseball games for the boys, and thus far I've managed to avoid going to any of their games, which are held at the scorpion-infested pit 'o dirt down the road. But with the relatives gone I have no more excuses, so I guess I'll be in attendance tomorrow. I promise, however, to try to post some photos of our recent adventures with my siblings. Soon. Really. Promise.

Oh, and G? You really ought to spring for that house...

1 comments:

Adrian Pratt said... [Reply]

Wait, did you say scorpion-infested?

Good to have you back.

Please. Write your own stuff.