Thursday, December 1, 2011

Where Was I?

When last we met our fearless heroine, she was prepping for a Thanksgiving feast for 45. Can we blame her if she hasn't blogged since? That kind of partying is exhausting!

Oh, but I had help. Lots and lots of help.

We tend to invite the Marines over for Thanksgiving every year, both because they work for Bart (the MSG program is, I believe, the only case in which a civilian directly oversees the military) and because they're always a great group of young guys - plus the occasional female - and they're serving their country, far from home, without their mamas and without any roasting pans of their own. So we invited them, and they offered to bring along a few drinks. When Sergeant Dan walked in, he was lugging more beer than I could pick up, let alone consume in a lifetime. I can't stop laughing about that one.

We also invited Bart's whole office, and while not all of them came, an awful lot did. Which meant our guests were mostly either Marines or federal agents. Strange crowd I hang with. (Aside: when told that so-and-so was going to a friend's house for the big day, Shay retorted "So? Our party will be cooler, because we will have all of the Marines!") Our guests all brought food, so while I cooked all of the usual Thanksgiving dishes, I didn't have to make enough of each for 45. No, I just made one turkey, but we had three turkeys in all, plus a ham. Oh, and mac n cheese, and sweet potatoes and stuffing, and salad, and ohmygosh I'm suddenly hungry again. I laughed at Beth when she walked in with a dish of mashed potatoes that measured - no joke! - about 2x3 feet, because who could eat that many potatoes? We could, apparently, because by night's end they were 100% gone.

We had 5 tables set up in our living room, with drinks on the porch and food in the kitchen.

It was madness. But it was such delicious fun.

And then, because we are INSANE, we got the bright idea to host a "leftovers party," so the very next night we had 25 more people over to polish off what was left. Only problem: they all brought leftovers of their own, so we had about the same amount of food that we'd had the night before.

I love Thanksgiving.

But here it is December 1, and Thanksgiving is long over. The house is clean again, and the leftovers are all gone, and there will be no more turkey until next year - unless I decide to make the same meal on Christmas Day.

There will, however, be beer. From now until we move again, there will be enough beer for all of us.

5 comments:

Melissa V said... [Reply]

My dad is a retired Marine, and when he would have his guys over they would always bring beer. Our fridge in the garage was full of beer, but my parents don't really drink. Party after party the supply would grow until there was no room for anything else. Eventually we had to pour it all out (it was a smelly day...). Before this happens to you, have the Marines over for a leftover beer party, just make sure to tell them that they can't bring any drinks!

Heather Dray said... [Reply]

You are amazing! I can't even begin to imagine entertaining so many people (even with help!) and then doing it again the next day. Kudos. Serious kudos.

Elaine said... [Reply]

I think I see the pattern. You had to do your part with the beer, and that made it seem like a good idea to have a 'leftovers party.' Hoo, boy.

Shannon said... [Reply]

Sounds like a wonderful time. Do you think you could send Sgt Dan this way with some beer? We're running short around here.

Connie said... [Reply]

It sounds like you had a very successful get together! I totally get the mashed potatoes too .. it's a guy thing. Brad offered to fix ours this year since I was ill on Thanksgiving and needed help in the kitchen, so I set my basket of potatoes on the table thinking he'd cook up 4-5 to mash for the four of us. oh no. I came back in the kitchen and the basket was empty...! (ah well... leftovers are always good!)

Please. Write your own stuff.