Saturday, December 10, 2011

'Tis the Season

When December rolls around, things get a little crazy in our house. The kids spot an advent calendar and it's all over - it's all so exciting that no one can be bothered to be good, or calm, or patient, when Christmas is JUST AROUND THE CORNER!!!

They're making me crazy.

****

On December 1st, I pulled out the Christmas plates. We have four little plates, each with a different Christmasy pattern, that were given to us a few years back. It's become a sort of holiday tradition to fight over who gets the snowman plate.

That first night of December, I made a red-and-green meal. Sort of accidentally, but still: such holiday spirit I had on the first day of the month! We had pasta with tomatoes and basil, we had beets, and we had spinach salad. The whole meal looked quite festive. I dished it out on the fancy Christmas plates and waited for the kids to notice.

"I got the reindeer!" said Aidan, midway through the meal.

Shay dug around under the spinach and said "I got the snowflake!"

Kyra looked and shouted "I got the tree!!!"

Ainsley was confused. She looked down at her plate of pasta with tomatoes and basil and shook her head sadly. "All I got," she said, "is a tomato."

****

Today was Breakfast With Santa at the Embassy, and I'm pretty sure if I don't get any photos up soon, the grandparents are going to withhold my Christmas presents. So here they are: the kids with Santa. And Santa's camel. Because, after all, we do live in Jordan. I'll try to be back soon with more from Amman, but no promises: 'tis the season, after all, to be totally overwhelmed by the to-do list.









3 comments:

Bfiles said... [Reply]

that is adorable. happy holidays!

Deborah said... [Reply]

I recognize Ainsley's sweater!

Connie said... [Reply]

Wonderful photos! Your kids are so photogenic!

Please. Write your own stuff.