Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Holiday Hardships

We'll have a crowd for Christmas: Bart's parents will be here, along with one brother, one sister-in-law and two cousins.

This is big news, because we never have relatives on holidays when we're overseas. So naturally, I reacted to the news by going on a cooking binge. It's what I do.

I decided to make enchiladas for Christmas Eve-Eve, because my father-in-law loves Mexican food. Last night I made one pan of chicken enchiladas, into which I tossed my very last can of chopped green chiles. No problem, I figured, they sell those at the commissary, so I can buy another can for batch #2.

But alas, today there were exactly zero cans of chopped green chiles at the commissary. None at the Z store, either. After getting stuck in Abdoun-to-Swefiyeh traffic for 30 minutes, I couldn't face another side trip to Cozmo. So our vegetarian enchiladas will be chile-less. Also, we will likely lack guacamole, because avocados aren't easy to find, and they ain't cheap! And I haven't found unflavored tortilla chips for the salsa.

Why must the simplest things be so difficult?

4 comments:

Anne said... [Reply]

Ugh, I hate when that happens!

Avocados are everywhere here (which is one reason why our community Christmas pool party is mexican themed...that and pineapples and coconuts for pina coladas), and I just got a case of green chiles. If only I could overnight some to you!

Penni said... [Reply]

It's amazing what you take for granted while living overseas. I'm most irritated by the lack of brown sugar here in Germany. Chocolate chip cookies with just white sugar? I think not. (Haha, I have to import the chocolate chips myself, too! Crumbled baking chocolate just isn't the same.)

Nomads By Nature said... [Reply]

Hoping your meal plans turn out spectacular despite inventive ingredients. Merry Christmas!

Connie said... [Reply]

How wonderful to have family with you for the holidays! :)

Please. Write your own stuff.