Thursday, August 11, 2011

My Fans Await

I know, I know... you're all dying to know what I've been up to here in Germany. Well, at least, if you're my parents, you probably are.

Bear with me, folks. I'm typing on my iPad, and while I loves me some iPad, I hate typing on it. The autocorrect function kills me, and editing is a pain. On the plus side, Angry Birds is a lot of fun on an iPad, and if I ever managed to find a few minutes to myself, I imagine I'd love reading all of those books I have stored on it somewhere. But, as usual, I digress.

We're here. And when we're not fighting, or bickering, or calling each other stupid dummy heads, we're having fun. I'll have to post photos and details later, because I don't know how to get pictures out of my camera without my computer. I also don't know how to get my kids to stop whining. But that's another story.

We've been to the princess castle. How in the heck do you attach a link to this thing, anyway? Well, go here to see what I'm talking about: http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/palace/index.htm. My whole life I wanted to see this place. Just, you know, not in the rain and with four kids in tow. But it was pretty amazing anyway.

We also took a gondola up into the Alps and went out on the AlpspiX. You can see it here: http://www.zugspitze.de/en/summer/berg/garmisch-classic/alpspix.htm. Which, trust me, is a whole lot better than seeing it in person, if you're scared of heights. I pretty much assumed that one of my kids was going to get tossed over the side by a strong gust of wind, but they all lived to fight another day. When I finally do post the pictures, you'll get to see one of me, clinging to the edge like a baby, terrified to step out there.

We also went the Partnach Gorge (http://europeforvisitors.com/germany/garmisch/partnach-gorge-partnachklamm.htm), on the rainiest day you can imagine, and it was all kinds of awesome. We were soaked through, but it was so worth it. I'd love to go back on a sunny day just to see how different it would be. It was truly amazing, and because the kids were so terrified and the path was so narrow and the rain was so strong, the kids couldn't fight, not one bit. God, I loved that place.

Today we rented bikes and rode to the Olympic Ski Stadium, where we found a toboggan ride and a bungee swing for the kids. They were thrilled. We also rode up a steep hill to a little lake. Okay, okay- everyone else rode. I might have had to walk my bike for a bit. But I made it to the lake eventually. And I'm happy to report that there were no piranha, sharks or other man-eating creatures in the lake, despite what Shay told his siblings.

And of course we went to Munich. It's a big city, and we only spent maybe four hours there, so we didn't see much. But we had lunch at a cafe on the Marienplatz, which was just all sorts of interesting, and we took the kids to the treasury museum so the girls could see real princess crowns.

So you see we've been busy. Right now I'm resting my aching butt - why hasn't anyone found a way to make padded bike seats? - and doing laundry while Bart takes the kids swimming in the hotel pool. Tomorrow, who knows? Maybe we'll go up the Zugspitz if it's a clear day, or take the train into Innsbruck.

Back later with more, I promise, either on Facebook or on this here blog. But for now - gotta go fold laundry!

Apologies for any typos.

8 comments:

Jen Ambrose said... [Reply]

Was it still cold and rainy? In some ways we welcomed it, you know, as a change from the 35+ degrees in Beijing. But when we got to Spain, and expected to be planted on a beach for three days, the 15 degrees and rainy got a little old.

Adrian Pratt said... [Reply]

Great, long report considering you're i-Padding it. Sounds like y'all are having fun.

Walking to China said... [Reply]

Germany is wonderful! So glad you are having a good time.

Popster said... [Reply]

I just copied the links from your post to my browser..... Wow, the scenery is spectacular.

Have fun

Popster

Just US said... [Reply]

We have tossed around the idea of doing this exact same thing for an R&R with our family. Hearing about your adventures (and how the kids have been too occupied/tired to fight) decided it for us. When you get back I would love to hear any pointers you would wish to share.

Elaine said... [Reply]

What? You went to Munich and did NOT see the museum of science and industry? There is a glass harmonica there....

Ah, well...one can't do everything, but next time!

Connie said... [Reply]

It sounds like you are managing to fit a whole lot of fun into your time away! You're going to need a vacation when you get back from vacation... ah, but school is starting up again. :D !! The Zugspitz is UP there. I remember being a bit overwhelmed by the cable car ride up, but seeing a plane fly by, window height, of the cafe I had lunch in was the craziest. I found the Partnach gorge to be more scary... I thought for sure I'd slip off the path to my doom. I went in winter and it was all frozen, the falls, etc. Absolutely stunning... but I had hurt myself skiing and was limping around on a cane. I was surprised I made it through without going in, and the view was worth it! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

CMG said... [Reply]

I'm glad you are having fun but I can't wait for you to come back so we can see you!

Please. Write your own stuff.