Monday, June 13, 2011

time, flying

Another year has flown by somehow. This time last year we were in Seattle, fighting jetlag to stay awake for Kyra's fourth birthday party.

And now? Now she's five. She's taller and skinnier and girlier. She's forgotten all of her Chinese, but she's starting to sing in Arabic as she twirls around in the kitchen. Her favorite color is "dark pink with sparkles."

She's going to start kindergarten - kindergarten! - in the fall, and I'm not sure how to feel about that. Oh, she's clearly ready. But I'm not sure I am. How is it that she's not my baby anymore?

She's stubborn and sneaky and smart - just like her mama. I sense we're going to clash pretty hard a few years from now, so I have to hold on to these years, when I'm still her mommy and not just that pain-in-the-ass woman who tells her she can't wear that out of the house.

We'll celebrate as a family this year, with a pink heart cake topped with pink and purple sparkles. It isn't much to look at - I'm not the best cake decorator - but she took one look and exclaimed "I didn't know that was the cake I wanted, but it is!"




With Shay and Aidan, 5 years ago...
And now...

8 comments:

Nomads By Nature said... [Reply]

Congratulations Mama! They do grow up way to quickly don't they! Enjoy that sweet little girl and the sweet little cake you made her. Your going to have an awesome day!

tree hugger said... [Reply]

that is the most adorable thing to say about the cake!! what a cutie.

also, i think you did a pretty awesome job for a 5 year old's cake.
pink? sparkles? heart shaped? CHECK!

Smallbits said... [Reply]

Happy birthday to your sweet girl! I love the cake and her comment on it. That is awesome. I hope it was tons of fun.

Shannon said... [Reply]

O love her comment about the cake, how perfect!

Sara said... [Reply]

Happy Birthday! Also, Mommy, I think the cake is great.

Connie said... [Reply]

Happy Birthday to your big girl! She's a sweetie! Please tell her I say Hi and hope she had a very special day! :)

Kami said... [Reply]

I totally want that cake too.

Elaine said... [Reply]

No, you're officially old when none of the children live with you any longer. (Sob.) I miss them still, and you'd think I'd be used to it now...after all, I'm (ulp) 64 and 'the babies' are 30 and 27.

Please. Write your own stuff.