Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Eskadinia

Yesterday, Reda the boab stopped by the kitchen window with a ladder on his shoulders, asking for a dish of some sort. I gave him a big tupperware container, and he continued into our back yard.

A few minutes later, he returned with my tupperware, and it was full of this:
Apparently we have an eskadinia tree in our back yard. Never heard of eskadinia? Neither had I. That's one of the things I love about the Foreign Service - at each new post there are new foods to try, strange fruits to sample. In Armenia we had a pomegranate tree in our back yard, and fresh mulberries at the market down the road. In Moscow I developed an obsession with pickled garlic stems. Kazakhstan, strangely enough, had an amazing Korean market, where I learned to love kim chee. (I never did try those rooster heads, though.) China - oh, how I miss the food in China. I could go on about the dragon fruit and the pea shoots and the odd little melons whose name I never learned.

Here we have eskadinia. After a bit of research, I discovered that the English name for these little guys is "loquat." They're sort of like apricots that have been cross-bred with mangos and tangerines. Not as soft or sweet as an apricot, less dense than a mango, with a sour orange-y undertone. Delicious.

5 comments:

Shannon said... [Reply]

Loquats...Yum! When I was a kid I went to a very small rural school. All three schools (elem, jr hi, hi school) shared the gym and track facilities) When I was in jr hi I had PE at the same time the varsity teams had practice so we never really saw the gym or the track. Instead they had us run laps around the block across the street. Half way around the block, out of sight of the coach, was a old empty house with huge fruit trees in the yard. We would run as fast as we could the first half of the lap, pause grab what ever fruit was in season-loquats, mulberries, peaches, pecans, plums, scarf it down and continue on our way. I had almost forgotten about that until I read your post. Enjoy the loquats I know I sure did.

Becca said... [Reply]

those look gooooood!

Sadie said... [Reply]

mmm, loquats! one of my colleagues brought some back from Beirut a few weeks ago, and we've been thoroughly enjoying them. hope you all are too!

Brooke said... [Reply]

I always wondered what they were called in English! We ate them in Jerusalem and loooved them.

globalgal said... [Reply]

You probably saw loquat throat candy in every convenience store in Beijing without knowing it was loquat. I just recently figured this out. While they very adequately function as throat drops, they look even better fresh!

Please. Write your own stuff.