Monday, May 23, 2011

Why, hello, there!

So there I was, minding my own business, waiting in the buffet line at the Hail and Farewell party last week at the Embassy, when the gentleman in front of me turned and said "You know, ever since you got elected to the school board, you haven't been updating your blog as frequently."

Interesting point, I thought. And then, I hope those aren't the last brownies he's got there on his plate. And finally, ohdearlord, he reads my blog? I hope I didn't say anything awful about him.

Well, they weren't the last brownies. And he did have a point about my lack of bloggitude.

It's not the school board, actually, because I haven't started that yet. It's the job. Yes, the job. It's only 20-ish hours per week. But when you add that to the rest of my responsibilities, my workday is pretty much full. Where to find the time to blog? And what to blog about?

Life in the middle east is strange right now. All around us countries are in various stages of disarray, with leaders slaughtering their own people, suicide bombers blowing themselves up, and people arguing over borders. Yet here I am, worrying about what to feed the kids for dinner, signing field trip permission slips, ordering shoes online. My daily life feels quite normal, if you don't count the security checks I go through just to get to work, or the fact that all around me people are speaking Arabic and I'm desperately trying to understand.

Today I went with Aidan's class on a field trip to the Children's Museum, a facility not unlike one you'd find in a decent-sized city in the States. The trip had been re-scheduled from last month, when the school cancelled because a large protest was scheduled in front of the museum. Today we went, and the children ran around looking for "forces:" that is, they were looking for machines that needed to be pushed or pulled, and searching out examples of when wind or water are used as forces. It all seemed like any normal field trip, of the sort you might attend at a public school back in Fairfax, Virginia, when suddenly one of the kids, a local kid whose family hails from Palestine, stopped and pointed at a bank logo on the side of an exhibit. "Look at that,"he said. "We own that bank." Huh.

It's a strange place we're living. That's for sure.

1 comments:

Sadie said... [Reply]

This week’s State Department Blog Round Up is here, and you're on it!

http://sadieabroad.blogspot.com/2011/05/state-department-blog-roundup.html

Please let me know if you have any objections and would like to be removed. Thanks, and Happy Memorial Day!

Please. Write your own stuff.