Tuesday, May 17, 2011

When Life Doesn't Hand You Lemons...

I was chastized on Facebook today.

That's right, my friend Kolbi told me I need to post to my blog today in order to bring a happy smile to her otherwise joyless, Chinese vocabulary-filled existence. That's a lot of pressure to put on a girl.

But okay. I'll do my best.

Here in Jordan, we get danger pay. Why, you ask? Well, there are a lot of people in these parts who don't like us too much. I can't really go into the various ways that this affects my kids, but I can say that they don't have the same freedom of movement here that they had when we lived in Beijing.

So the other day, when Kyra decided that she wanted to make some lemonade and sell it to the neighbors, I nixed that idea. But I didn't want to scare her by saying "Are you crazy? The terrorists will kill you!", so I merely mumbled something about not having lemons and left it at that. I was making dinner, so I admit I was a bit distracted when I heard the front door open and close a few minutes later.

But then the doorbell rang. It was Reda the boab, and he wanted to let me know that my girls had gone out front and were setting up shop on the sidewalk. They had a box, covered with their nana's quilt and topped with a ceramic piggy bank. No lemonade, though: apparently that part of the set-up was imaginary. I guess they'd been listening when I told them I didn't have any lemons.

The front gate was wide open, and the dog was jumping around next to them. I'm not sure why he didn't make a break for it when he saw the open gate, but he was glued to the girls.

Free-range kids notwithstanding, there is no way my girls are going to set up an imaginary lemonade stand on a sidewalk in the middle of the middle east. Lest you think, however, that I crushed their budding entrepreneurial spirit, know this: they struck a hard bargain. They only agreed to come in if I supplied real money for their imaginary lemonade stand, which they promised to relocate inside the house once I forked over the cash. Dinner was burning on the stove, so I quickly agreed to their terms, and the imaginary lemonade stand, once relocated, earned them a profit of about 3.50 JD.

I guess you could say they earned their own danger pay that afternoon.

Here's our recipe for non-imaginary mint lemonade:
2 cups lemonade (make it yourself or buy it)
1 handful fresh mint
1 dozen ice cubes
Run through the blender. Drink. Preferably inside, far away from any lemonade stand-haunting terrorists.

5 comments:

Adrian Pratt said... [Reply]

Sounds like they'd do well on Wall Street!

A Daring Adventure said... [Reply]

Thank you for blogging today! It did, indeed, put a smile on my Chinese-weary face. And a spring in my step. And a song in my heart.

Why?

Because you're Just. That. Awesome! That's why.

By the way, if I found my gorgeous daughters outside the gates I would probably pass out then and there. You are such a balanced, together Mommy!

Also, can't help it, but: Ohmigosh! I'm FAMOUS!!! Look at famous me!! Donna mentioned me on her blog - the one with a hundred bazillion followers! The one written by famous published authoress Donna! ::happy dance::

:) <--- Big, BIG smile!

Anne said... [Reply]

That (non-imaginary) lemonade sounds amazing.

Heather said... [Reply]

Oh, your kids drive a hard bargain! This brought a smile to my face as well. We're moving to Cairo in August, so I'll be taking notes! I'll be back to read more...

Stephanie said... [Reply]

Wow, you have lemons? Despite made-in-India bottles of lemon juice, I can't find a single lemon in this entire city.

Please. Write your own stuff.