Monday, May 30, 2011

Followed Her To School One Day, School One Day, School One Day...

cat, thinking big thoughts...


I figure no one will believe this, except maybe Connie, and that's only because her cats are over on the other side of town figuring out how to weaponize her spice rack.

But.

Every morning when I take Kyra to school, Kiwi the formerly-stray cat follows us. All the way to school. Just like Mary's little lamb. I can't quite figure out why she's doing this, but if she's in the house when we leave, she escapes however she can and then proceeds to sneak through yards, under cars and across roads, always staying just behind us.

On the days that I drop Kyra off and return home, the cat waits outside the school and trots back home with me. On the days that I drop Kyra off and then proceed to walk or cab into work, the cat disappears. I guess she just heads back home. How does she know if it's a work day or a home day? I have no idea.

But the one day that I stayed in the school for a couple of hours instead of running in and out, I found the cat outside, halfway between home and school, meowing piteously.

There's really no point to this story, other than the fact that I want to remember it years hence. I've never been much of a cat person, but this cat has found her way into our family, claws and all.

5 comments:

Daniela Swider said... [Reply]

I had a dog that did that once but it's unusual behavior for a cat. She just likes to keep an eye on you and make sure you're safe or she's been hired by the local secret service to watch where you go and what you do, haha!

Shannon said... [Reply]

Must be a stray cat thing. We had a stray cat that adopted up and for years Fluffy would follow us on walks, often slinking along through the shrubs in people's yards so we wouldn't notice him so much. I am pretty sure that he only stopped because when we moved to Jakarta we wouldn't let him outside at all due to all the nasty street cats. Didn't need him fighting and picking up some disease.

Connie said... [Reply]

Yes I did read... but Daniela and Shannon were faster! Cats can be very dog-like, and are very smart - and it seems like all smart animals have rituals and routines and take on self-assigned 'jobs' - like my aunt's dog, who always insisted that carrying her purse was his responsibility! I've lived in a number of places with more feral cats than Jordan, but this is the first place I've seen so many feral colonies/family groups sticking together so loyally. It sounds like your cat has definitely adopted your family as his pack and is taking his job of helping you walk Kyra to school every day very seriously! :)

linda said... [Reply]

Cats are so awesome. That cat totally rules.

Deborah said... [Reply]

Just found your blog today--love this story! We have two cats too, adopted from a shelter in Cairo, but I'm pretty sure that despite their Egyptian street cat roots, they'd never survive on the streets now. We'd maybe find them hiding under a bush, one meowing pitifully and the other following the "if they can't hear me or see me, they can't hurt me" line of thought.

Please. Write your own stuff.