Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Future Card

I've never been the sort to make New Year's resolutions, at least not out loud.

So why am I doing this? I decided to copy my friend Laura F. and give up Facebook for Lent. That's right: I even deactivated my account, so I wouldn't be tempted to take a peek.

There's no big reason, really. I just figured I could spend those minutes during the day more productively. I have a couple of Lenten goals for that re-gained time. Do you want to hear them? No? Well, then go find yourself another blog to read.

First: I'm going to spend more time each and every day working with that beast of a dog, Yogi the Giant Schnauzer. He's getting quite big, and while he's very smart, he's also stubborn. He knows sit, stay, down and shake. But he hates to heel, and he hates to come when I call him. So I need to spend more time getting him to understand that I'm in charge of the leash. Expected bonus: if I keep him busy, it's less likely that he'll notice the hose in the back yard, decide to play tug-of-war with it, and pull the entire length of metal pipe out of the wall, causing the boab to call the Embassy's emergency maintenance people to our house early one morning.

Not, of course, that Yogi has ever done such a thing. Ahem.

Also, I plan to spend a bit of extra time writing instead of reading. I haven't submitted a thing for publication since I moved to Jordan, because I've been busy getting settled in and working on private writing projects. It's time to get back into the groove and see if I can get my name back out there.

Now, I didn't spend all that much time on Facebook. So it's not as if I'll end this experiment with a perfectly trained dog and a published novel to my name. But I figure: Lent is supposed to be a time of reflection, so it would be good to look inward and reflect on where I'm going.



Shay was looking at baseball cards this morning, and he said one of them was called a "Future Card."

I asked what that meant, and he said that it imagines the player in the future, and it gives you the stats for what they should be able to do in the next twenty years.

So I've been thinking about my own Future Card today. What will it say about me?

I'll be thinking on what I want it to say over the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, you can reach me through email, phone or this blog.

But not on Facebook.

2 comments:

Smallbits said... [Reply]

I love the "future card" idea. I think I am going to work on some of that self reflecting stuff too. Thanks.

Jill said... [Reply]

What a great idea! Enjoy your next few weeks sans FB ... I'm sure after the first few days you won't even miss it.

Hope you're not a stranger w/o it. :)

Please. Write your own stuff.