Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

No, I'm not a month ahead of myself.

Yesterday was Mother's Day here in Jordan, which means I get to celebrate it twice this year!

All day long, random people emailed and texted to wish me a Happy Mother's Day. And my kids all made Mother's Day cards at school, too.

Coincidentally, Connie chose "arts n crafts" as her suggested RoundUp topic. I groaned when I saw that. Seriously, Connie? Couldn't you give me something easy, like "Today's Trip to the Emergency Room," or "Stupid Things I Said in Arabic This Week"?

But it all worked out in the end, because I have some crafty things to show you, after all. Just not mine.

So without further ado, I present.... My Mother's Day cards:


In case you were hoping for a closer look, here's Aidan's card. And no, Twinings Tea is not (yet) a proud sponsor of this blog (though considering the sheer number of their products I consume before noon each day, maybe they should be).


Why tea? I'm glad you asked. Here's the note inside:

("Here's a gift for Mother's Day.
I'll try my best in every way.
But when you get upset with me,
Relax and have a cup of tea.
")

Shay went for the more traditional crumpled-tissue-paper-faux-rose design.


And inside, his loving ode to his wonderful mother:

("Happy Mother's Day! I hope Yogi doesn't ruin it!")

Tragically, my husband is out-of-country - so no chocolate or roses or massages for me. Oh, well - there's always another Mother's Day in May.

9 comments:

Popster said... [Reply]

Happy first Mothers' day.

POpster

Kristen said... [Reply]

How fun! Do you get to double up any other holidays? And those cards are priceless!!

Donna said... [Reply]

Kristen, I don't know if there are any other doubled up holidays like this, when the same holiday is celebrated on two different days, but we do get to celebrate both local and American holidays. The Embassy is closed for Jordanian holidays, like the Prophet's birthday, and for American celebrations, like Thanksgiving. The schools don't usually close for American holidays. So, for example, on Thanksgiving the kids go to school. But my husband (supposedly - ha!) stays home. Weird.

Lisa said... [Reply]

I love his poem. It reminded me that I got a coupon for a foot massage this week. I don't think my seven-year-old understands the consequences of providing me with such a luxury. Perhaps I'll take him up on it.

Jen said... [Reply]

I love those hand-made cards...absolute treasures!

Kami said... [Reply]

Seriously, those cards are beautiful. What a lucky lady to get 2 mothers days!

Connie said... [Reply]

The Weekly State Department Blog Round-up is posted, and you're on it! http://whaleears.blogspot.com/2011/03/artsy-crafty-round-up.html.

If I've made any errors, or you prefer not to be included, just let me know. Thank you!

pillarofpeace said... [Reply]

I Love your mother's day cards:) I may be the only one out of the loop, but who is Yogi (if it's not too private)?

Donna said... [Reply]

@ Pillar of Peace - Yogi is the Giant Schnauzer puppy that my husband adopted a few months ago. He's cute, but he's a hyperactive pain in the ass. And yes, I intentionally made this comment vague enough that it could refer either to my husband or the puppy. You decide.

Please. Write your own stuff.