Saturday, March 5, 2011

Dead2Red Relay

We drove back to Aqaba this weekend. Well, most of us drove. Bart and Shay ran.

They participated in a race called the Dead2Red Relay. Their team of ten started at the Dead Sea at around 4 pm on Thursday and ran through the night until they reached Aqaba, some 150 miles later.

I wish my husband weren't so tired tonight - I'd make him guest post here and tell you what it was really like. But in true journalist fashion, I interviewed him, and he said it was the hardest race he's ever run. It wasn't his longest race - each team member ran right around 15 miles. But they were sprinting a kilometer at a time, and between turns they sat in the follow car, trying to stay stretched out and awake.

By the time they arrived in Aqaba, they were all exhausted and sore. But think of the poor drivers! They had two vans for their team, and each van had just one driver. Michael drove our car (I went to Aqaba with another family), and he had to drive about 20 hours straight, through the night, no stopping to rest, at about 5 miles an hour. That man deserves a medal. Oh, wait - they all got medals!

I think this will be the experience that Shay will remember most from his entire stay in Jordan. He was thrilled to get to participate with the grown-ups, and he made his daddy very, very proud.


At the starting line, 4 p.m. Thursday.



Shay takes a turn with the Dead Sea in the distance.


Night falls. Shay runs on.



Friday morning in the desert. Still running.




One lone picture proves Bart ran the race, too. (I have pictures of the other teammates, but since I didn't ask their permission, I don't want to post them here.)


A confused bystander cheers on the runners.


At the finish line, Friday at noon.


Back at the hotel, Shay crashed and burned.

14 comments:

FSO Hopeful said... [Reply]

Very cool!

Deborah said... [Reply]

congrats shay and bart! very impressive (and looks like fun, actually!)

Z. Marie said... [Reply]

What an awesome opportunity!

Anne said... [Reply]

How cool! I ran a similar race in Utah. It was a great experience and I've always wanted to do another one. If we're ever posted in Jordan you better believe I'll be running it!

Kamara Afi said... [Reply]

Shay continues to amaze me! I am so proud of him!

-Kamara

Rose said... [Reply]

Wonderful pictures..Congratulations to both.

Rose said... [Reply]

Love the pictures...what stamina they have. Great Job!

Love,
Rose (Sacchetti)Bielawski

Smallbits said... [Reply]

Go Shay and Bart! That is awesome.

Daniela Swider said... [Reply]

Wow, amazing!

Sadie said... [Reply]

so awesome! way to go Shay! and Bart! what a fun experience :-).

Nomads By Nature said... [Reply]

What a fantastic experience and memory for S. and B. to share. Congratulations on a job well done!

I'll Take Mine... said... [Reply]

That is so amazing!! My 10 yr old complains during the Presidential Physical Fitness Tests in gym class.
Yay Shay… and Bart too.

Kami said... [Reply]

wow! What an experience. For the donkey too.

Connie said... [Reply]

Fantastic!!! Great job to both! (well, to the whole team, but this is your blog so I can be biased towards your guys)

Please. Write your own stuff.