Sunday, February 27, 2011

Writer's Block

So.

I hit "send" on my last blog post, and then happily left the computer behind for the weekend. When I returned to my desk, I discovered that my last post had gone a teensy bit viral. I've had approximately 13-and-a-half skazillion blog hits in the past 24 hours.

I also got quite a few comments. To all of you commenters who told me how brilliant I am, I can only say: you are absolutely right. To those of you who disagreed with my basic premise, well, obviously I'm right and you're wrong.

Seriously, though, it is a tricky issue, and there are lots of ways to look at it. You've provided much food for thought in the comments section, and I'm trying to respond to those of you who have an email address attached to your comment (lots of you are "noreply@blogger" people).

The question today is: what next? Clearly I hit a nerve with my last post. If I continue on the topic, I run the risk of turning into a whiny EFM. But if I post pictures of my dog again, well, I'm a one-hit wonder. It's enough to give a gal a bad case of writer's block.

What to do, what to do...

Oh! I'll tell you about my husband's birthday celebration.

He's been working the crazy hours lately (and when I say lately, I mean since about 1994), so I thought it would be nice to take him away somewhere for a night. I made reservations at a little hotel in the mountains near the Dead Sea. I had to find one family to take one boy (thanks Jenna and Brett!) and another family to host the other boy (that'd be you, Craig and Vladi - thanks!). Then I got a sitter to camp out for the night with the girls. I had to make sure the guys who work with Bart were on board - after all, there were more demonstrations planned for Friday in downtown Amman, and I was pretty sure my husband would be uncomfortable skipping town, even if he was only an hour away, unless his guys were all okay with it. And I wanted it to be a surprise. It was almost as tricky as evacuating Libya, I swear.

It would have worked, too. He had no clue what I was planning, until a few nights ago at dinner, when Aidan happily announced "I get to have a sleepover with Alex and Peter when mom takes you out!", to which Shay replied "You dummy, it was supposed to be a surprise about the hotel."

Still, he didn't know where we were going until the morning of, when I showed him the hotel's website.

We drove down to the Dead Sea, then hung a left and headed up, up, up into the hills. Once we reached the top, where there was an amazing view of the Sea below, we turned right onto a narrow, windy and steep (we're talking 15% grade) downhill road. We ended up in a narrow valley, where the hotel perched between rocky hills, with waterfalls all around. It was beautiful, though the safety-mom in me couldn't help but think about flash floods. I wouldn't want to be there in a heavy downpour.

We drove along until we came up to the hotel, but I couldn't find a parking lot. I turned around and went back to the entrance gate. The attendant couldn't direct me to the lot, so I decided to turn back around and ask in the lobby. When I pulled forward, I ran the car right over a small stone wall - took the bottom right side completely off the car.

My husband, bless his heart, merely looked at me and said "May I assume, as part of my birthday present, you'll be taking care of getting that fixed?"

You have to love a man who can say something like that as part of his car is lying on a narrow desert road in the middle of nowhere. Though I imagine if we could've seen the thought bubble above his head, whatever he was really thinking would have been equally, ahem, amusing.

I think we can all agree that his birthday surprise didn't get off to quite the happy start that I'd envisioned. But no matter. We had a great time. We went to dinner in the hotel, and we actually talked! To each other! No one interrupted. And not once was the word "dummyhead" spoken. It was almost eerie. In the morning, we went to the gym together and then ate breakfast by the waterfall. Everyone should breakfast by a waterfall at least once, don't you think?

It was all quite relaxing.

Which is good, because as soon as we returned to Amman, we had to: pick up Aidan, pick up the girls, pay the sitter, pick up Shay, go to the school for Talent Show tryouts, take Aidan to church school, get the grocery shopping done, go to church, send Shay to basketball, make dinner, pack school lunches and make 2 dozen cupcakes for the school.

It was worth it, though.

Now: does anyone out there know how you can get a 6-foot long part for an American-spec Honda shipped to Amman? I'm thinking Father's Day....

5 comments:

Nomads By Nature said... [Reply]

Classic! At least the car didn't get stuck there on the wall/road too... What an awesome souvenir to keep the birthday memory alive!

Kristin said... [Reply]

OH! That is definitely going on my "bucket list". Eat breakfast next to a waterfall!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Sara said... [Reply]

That sounds great!

Connie said... [Reply]

I knew a car guy in Cairo who could just make something up for you. He kept trying to talk me into cattle bars on the front of my truck.. I refused on the basis that parking was already too tight.
Sorry about your car, but I am very happy that you two were able to slip away and enjoy some time together :)

Becky said... [Reply]

Oh wow. What an adventure with the car. Glad you could enjoy some time away anyway.

Please. Write your own stuff.