Saturday, February 12, 2011

It Only Took 3 1/2 Years...

Hey, lookee there!

Can you see it over there, over to the right of this post?

I made it to 100 followers!

(and it only took 3 1/2 years to do it.)

Does that mean I'll have 200 followers in 2014 or so?

----

Lots to say, no time to say it. It's 10:15 p.m. and I haven't even started my Arabic homework. Also, I'm sick. As are both girls. Neither of whom is asleep yet.

I spent hours today driving kids all over Amman: to church school, to science fair team meeting, to basketball practice.... Thankfully, Amman is relatively small, so even when you're stuck in traffic (at the same light, for the 6th time today!), it's hard to work up any serious anger about it. Plus, I've found that there are jerky drivers here, but none so bad as Beijingers. After a mere five minutes on the road in Beijing, you'll have a serious case of road rage. Here, not so much. Actually, I'm probably driving worse than the locals these days, because I keep trying to read signs in Arabic and forgetting to focus on the road.

What else?

I got the loveliest email the other day from a woman who reads my blog and wanted to pay me some compliments on it. I've never met her, but did she ever make my day. I was in the grumpiest mood ever, and her email cheered me right up. You all should try emailing someone a few kind words out of the blue. I'm going to do it myself. I figure, if she made me that happy, the least I can do is pass it along, right? In other news, someone I know in real life described me as "intimidating," which I am choosing to believe is a compliment. But I am the furthest thing from intimidating you could imagine, so it cracked me right up.

I also got a care package in the mail from my parents last week! In addition to the barley I requested (for some reason you can't buy it here), they sent supplies for sushi making. Do I have great parents or what? So Aidan and I spent the afternoon rolling sushi. It made for a delicious dinner, even if we all ate at different times: Bart and Aidan ate after church; the rest of us ate after basketball. The whole concept of family dinner time went right out the window when basketball season started: between 2 boys we have 4 nights of basketball every week. It's killing me.

And with that, I'm off to down some decongestants and try to dream a bit.

Special thanks to my hundredth follower. Is it you, Sarah? You're all the way at the top left, so I think it must be you.

4 comments:

Connie said... [Reply]

Congrats! On the followers, not the cold. There's definitely a cruddy snot-germ going around. We're not getting very sick (no fever, thankfully) but we're tired of sneezing and coughing, etc. I agree with the traffic here. I am always surprised when people apologize for making me 'go out of my way'... no way! I don't think much in Amman is 'out of the way' at all. After Cairo, you'd have to send me somewhere north of Jerash to make me feel inconvenienced. ;) Feel better soon!

fourmommy17 said... [Reply]

You have a growing following for a reason...you are a great writer and your life is so interesting. Yes I AM living vicariously through you!! The tired carpool mom road rage tirades and busy basketball schedules are so blessedly normal in such a wonderfully exotic and frankly enviable setting. You might as well be living on another planet! I LOVE it!
Keep blogging Donna, I feel like I have found another fourmommy friend out there! you are awesome!

Doug and Cheryl said... [Reply]

I can't for the life of me remember how I discovered your blog, but I have been checking in for over two years now. I really enjoy reading about your life. Thanks.

Sara said... [Reply]

Congrats on the followers and yay for packages! We got a valentines package from John's parents last week and I love getting them. I'm sorry you're sick. I'm praying for you.

Please. Write your own stuff.