Monday, February 28, 2011

Eleven

Was it really eleven years ago? We were posted in Moscow at the time, but we encountered a dangerous situation and had to leave with 24 hours notice. I trudged around a snowed-in DC for days, with nothing to do and nowhere to go, while the higher-ups tried to decide what to do about my husband. Eventually, they sent us on to Los Angeles, while they debated some more. And so, because of a truly awful situation in Moscow, my husband was on hand for the birth of our first son. He even got to spend several weeks with our new son before they finally decided he could return to post. I followed a few weeks later, with this teeny tiny creature in my arms for the entire flight from Los Angeles to New York, and then on to Moscow.

I didn't know how to change a diaper, or give a bath, or nurse a baby. My husband had to cut those tiny fingernails, because I was too frightened of hurting the baby to try. Even that soft spot kind of terrified me.

Oh, but he's eleven now, and pretty soon he'll be taller than me. Where did the time go?

..............................just two years old, in Kazakhstan

5 comments:

Becky said... [Reply]

What a cute picture. I can't even imagine hitting double digits with my kids. Happy birthday!

Kami said... [Reply]

Wow. You guys have been everywhere. I envy your bravery, Donna. That flight woulda freaked my ass out!

Kristen said... [Reply]

I'm totally chicken on the fingernail front too. Jason has a much steadier hand than I so that has been his department with both of our girls! I hope you guys have a wonderful birthday celebration!!

Z. Marie said... [Reply]

Happy birthday!

Connie said... [Reply]

And he's grown into a funny, smart and awesome guy! Happy Birthday!!

Please. Write your own stuff.