Monday, January 24, 2011

Iraq al Ameer and Qasr al Abd

I'm loving my new Mac, but struggling to figure out how to use iPhoto with blogger. I'm sure it'll be great once I get it figured out, but for now, I'm just going to toss some unedited photos up here and see how it goes.

On Saturday we drove west-ish, exploring a little. We drove through Wadi al Seer, which is a really just a suburb of Amman, located to the west of the 8th circle. Another 10 miles or so past that, on a narrow winding road ("I'm gonna be carsick," everyone complained), we arrived at the tiny town of Iraq al Ameer. But still we kept going, for maybe another mile, until the road dead-ended at Qasr al Abd, which I'm told means "Castle of the Slave."

It was built around 200 BC, so it's amazing that it's still there. And it's absolutely in the middle of nowhere - there are guys tending fields and herding goats right alongside it. We were the only tourists there, which meant we got the full attention of the toothless old gatekeeper.

I don't know much about it, but it made for an interesting drive into an area that looks nothing like our part of town, yet is only 30 minutes away.









5 comments:

Jill said... [Reply]

I still struggle with using both iPhoto and iMovie... wish I spent the time / money to do the one-on-one lessons at the Apple Store.

I don't know if you use the old or new version of blogger ... but if you still use the old one (like me), you should have no problem uploading / editing the photos in blogger ... it would be the same as before.

There's a ton of photo editing you can do on iPhoto - but I also supplement by using Picnik - it's free and there's a TON of great ideas there.

FSO Hopeful said... [Reply]

It always amazes me how you can crawl around on things in Jordan that are a thousand plus years old and in the US we can't get within 1/4 mile of Mt. Rushmore!

Nomads By Nature said... [Reply]

What a great outing! Looks like the kids had a grand time exploring.

Just US said... [Reply]

Once I put Firefox on my Mac then I did not have any further problems uploading photos to my blog - as long as I uploaded them through Firefox. I love the photos! It looks like a super cool place

tree hugger said... [Reply]

you should go back there (iraq al ameer) in mid to late march. when the poppies and black irises are in blume, it is beautiful!

Please. Write your own stuff.