Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tis the Season...

... for holiday concerts.


First there was the concert at the boys' school. They sang such holiday classics as "Don't Eat a Poinsettia," featuring lyrics like these:

"Don't eat a
Poinsettia
Or else
You bettah
Get ready for a tummy ache!"

Seriously, there wasn't a song among them that I knew, but it was a lot of fun to watch the kids. They were all dressed up, so of course I had to snap lots of photos.

I believe I've blogged about Shay's new trumpet: the 5th graders have a band requirement, and that was his oh-so-loud instrument of choice, chosen for the very important musical reason that his friend Mohammed also selected the trumpet. This was their first performance together as a band, and while it wasn't, musically speaking, the finest band I've ever heard, it was still pretty impressive. Some of these kids couldn't even read music 3 months ago, yet here they were, working together and making actual music.







Next up: Aidan's Christmas pageant at church. They decided to reenact the birth of Christ, and thank the good Lord Himself that Aidan was chosen to be a shepherd rather than a sheep. If you were the mom of a sheep, you had to find cotton balls and construction paper and staples and a fuzzy white fleece sweater. If you were the mom of a shepherd, you only had to find the store in Sweifiyeh that sells dishdashes.

When Aidan walked out of the house in his shepherd-dishdash, poor Reda the boab couldn't stop laughing at my small Palestinian boy. Reda gave Aidan a big hug - he clearly got a kick out of the costume.

I dropped Aidan off at church for a rehearsal, but when he saw that some of the other shepherds had the black rings on their heads, he wanted one too. "Oops," I said to a dad standing nearby, "I didn't think to get him one of those."

"They usually only wear those if they've been circumcised," he responded, and won't that give me something to think about the next time I'm strolling through the streets of Amman and I see a guy in his dishdash.

The play went off without a hitch, unless you count the fact that we got there late and couldn't get the girls to sit still. But the actors themselves did just fine.




And then there was Kyra's concert today at school. The kids sang holiday songs in three languages: Arabic, English and French. So cute!

0 comments:

Please. Write your own stuff.