Thursday, November 4, 2010

Learning Arabic

I've had two Arabic classes so far, and boy-oh-boy has she covered a lot of information already. My homework sheet on the first day consisted of sentences like "You all need to go to bed early because tomorrow you will fly to Egypt," and "They don't think that they'll eat that food again," and "Let's take the kids to a party tonight!" So that would be: past, present and future tenses. Prepositions. Plural nouns and adjectives. Negative sentences. Masculine and feminine genders. Place names. And so on. After one hour of class.

Do you think I have some catching up to do?

There were 20 such sentences, and I am pleased to report that I was able to write all 20 in perfect English! In Arabic, eh, not so much. (Hey, FSO Hopeful: if I start posting my homework here, maybe you can do it for me???).

The good news is, I could do all of those sentences, if asked, in Russian. Probably in Chinese, too. And that gives me hope - if I learned them in the past, I will surely learn them again in Arabic - eventually. Right? Right?

But, oh, the studying I have ahead of me!

I decided to try out some new phrases on the boab. I said, very slowly, "I... am... stu..dy..ing... Arabic."

He replied "Great! You blankblank and blahhhhh and I blankityblankblank."

I thought for a minute, and then I answered "I... am... stu..dy..ing... Arabic."

So as you can see, I've made some real progress already.

6 comments:

Daniela Swider said... [Reply]

Yey for you, Donna! It will take a while but you are making progress. Keep at it!

(I keep telling myself the same things as I am struggling with Rosetta Stone Hindi)

wereposa said... [Reply]

You rock, Donna! Great attitude yields great accomplishments. Stay the course and keep plugging, you will succeed!

Bfiles said... [Reply]

good for you! You will get there, and it's great that you have an ambitious teacher! good luck!

FSO Hopeful said... [Reply]

سوف أساعدك مع واحبتك

Seriously, I've studied Arabic at a couple of really good places and by far the best teacher I have ever had is in Amman.

I am going to try to sneak in some studying with her when I am there in January.

Emily said... [Reply]

Good luck!
I am so impressed, Russian, Chinese, and now Arabic. Quite amazing!

Lydia said... [Reply]

The learning curve is sometimes frustrating! In the beginning, I learned how to give exact, down to the last turn directions to a taxi driver, but when he asked me if a detour was ok, or if I wore purple socks, I didn't know the difference!

Please. Write your own stuff.