Friday, November 5, 2010

Arabian Night



Last night the school held an "Arabian Night" fundraiser, in which the kids performed dances from various countries in the Middle East. At least, I think that's what the kids did, but it was all in Arabic, so I can't actually be sure.

Shay's class danced the dabka. He needed to wear a traditional dishdasheh, which I of course put off buying until the last possible minute, at which point a kind neighbor offered to lend us one. (Note to the school: if this is really a fundraiser, why not just sell the dishdash-outfits to the kids at a mark-up? Trust me: I'd rather pay you double than try to find the "Giant Fabric Market" downtown.) (Note to other random readers: if I misspelled dishdasheh or dabka, cut me some slack, would ya? I'm trying...)

Right before it was time to leave for the performance, and I mean right before as in grab-your-keys-and-head-for-the-door, Shay announced that he was supposed to wear black dress shoes with his outfit. Ummmm... even if his old dress shoes still fit, which I doubt, there's no way I'm digging through the closet when it's already time to go.

Note the fancy shoes, below:



And here they are, doing the dabka:




After the various student groups got up and performed, a "real" dance troupe came out to finish off the show. They were pretty good - pretty loud, too. But wait - isn't that one guy playing a bagpipe? I didn't know there were Jordanian bagpipe players. The pictures are kind of blurry because it's dark and they're spinning around and I'm no Daring Adventure or Beyond the Cornfields.




My son is ten. So when he saw this hanging on the wall by the stage, he insisted I take a picture.



They followed the performance with a buffet, but it was late and the kids were tired, so we grabbed a few falafel and then headed home to order a pizza.

And that was our night!

5 comments:

Connie said... [Reply]

He looks dashing in his dishdasha, and yes, you spelled it right. If it is spelled in English anywhere near what it sounds like in Arabic, that equals good enough!! I'm like you though, and confused about bagpipes and their association with traditional Arabic music, but I've seen them played in both Jerash, at in performances at the Pyramids of Giza, so...??

Linsey said... [Reply]

Sounds like you guys are fitting right in.

Shannon said... [Reply]

Looks like a lot of fun. I agree with you the school should have provided the outfits at a mark up. The in Jakarta did that and I happily paid the mark up just for the connivence. Love that the 10 year old talked you into taking a picture of the sequined bra.

Jen said... [Reply]

I loved events like that at overseas schools...and, yes, love that you had to snap that pic!

Jill said... [Reply]

Awe ... really makes me miss the Middle East. So glad you're having a great time!

And really? Did anyone notice that he wasn't wearing black dress shoes? That's totally what happens to us - the last minute reminders as we're running out the door.

Please. Write your own stuff.