Monday, October 4, 2010

Home Ec 101

I went on a sort of a cooking spree today.

I started out by making pasta sauce, which I usually make with eggplant. But I had too much eggplant, so I decided to slice it thin, bake it and stuff it with lasagna filling. But I had too much filling, so I had to make a little tiny 2-person lasagna with the leftovers. When am I even gonna serve that to my family of six?

Then I started on the baking. The Marines are having a fundraising bake sale for this year's Marine Ball. So I made a big batch of chocolate chip cookies. Then I thought I'd try my hand at mini chocolate croissants. Hey, it's for a good cause, and I can always eat the ones that aren't pretty enough to sell, right?

Once I'd finished cooking and cleaning up my mess, I turned to amazon to place a last-minute Halloween costume order. I found Aidan's costume. I found Shay's costume. Kyra wants to wear hers from last year, so that's done.

That leaves Ainsley. Ainsley desperately wants to be a "baby mermaid" for Halloween. But the costumes online all looked kind of tacky, or too grown up. So I started cutting up old dresses that don't fit her anymore. I got out the ole sewing machine, the one that my parents bought me, gawd knows why, about 4 years ago. And I'm trying to figure out how to make my own darn mermaid tail. Me, who has no talent whatsoever in the sewing department.

What is wrong with me? Seriously, why couldn't I just convince Ainsley to wear one of her ready-made princess dresses instead?

I'm going to go eat a couple of mini croissants and contemplate this issue before I go to bed. Anyone out there need a lasagna for two?

3 comments:

Shannon said... [Reply]

No I don't need a lasagna but I could really use a few of those mini chocolate croissants. Yumm!

Connie said... [Reply]

You've been busy busy busy! I was baking yesterday too, but decided not to send my oatmeal bars in, they are very yummy (the last batch of sultanas I got were very good!) but they weren't pretty and I figured they wouldn't sell. I'll have to support the Marines and buy a shirt or something.

hannah said... [Reply]

I am seriously concerned about you. That is NOT NORMAL.

Please. Write your own stuff.