Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas

I'm a cheapskate, I guess. I simply can't bring myself to spend $5 on a pack of imported tortillas that my boys will inhale in one sitting.

But do you know? It isn't that hard to make your own. Especially if you have a food processor, which you should. Personally, I can't live without mine. Here's how I'm making tortillas these days.

Whole Wheat Tortillas

2 1/2 c whole wheat flour
2 1/2 c white flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c shortening
1 1/2 c boiling water

Pulse the flours and salt in a food processor until combined. Add shortening and continue pulsing until shortening disappears in the mixture - it'll look a bit crumb-y. With food processor running, pour the boiling water slowly through the feed tube. Run the processor until the mixture combines into a ball.

Tear off a bit of dough and roll into a ball about the size of a golf ball. Place on a lightly floured surface to rest awhile. You should be able to make about 25 or so of these balls. Cover with a cloth and let them sit.

(Here's the good part - they can sit there, covered, all day long. I've been making them in the morning and letting them sit until the boys get home from school or until it's time to make dinner.)

When you're ready, heat a heavy skillet over a medium-high flame. Flatten a ball with your hand, then roll it out as thin as you can. (I just roll them out straight on my unfloured countertop.) Toss it on the skillet and wait about, oh, 30 seconds. It might bubble a bit. Flip it and cook the other side about 30 seconds. It should be just a tad browned. Flip and cook again if not. Remove from heat.

Once they're cool, you can stack and serve, or wrap in plastic and save.

Now, stick with me, because here is my very important variation, which allows you to make

Quesadillas!

Do the whole thing, as written above. But - after you've cooked the tortilla on one side, flip it over, quickly sprinkle shredded cheese over one half and fold over. Cook for 30 seconds, then flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stand ready with your rolling pin - you'll need it to beat the kids away from the wire rack until you have enough quesadillas for everyone.

Serve with salsa or ketchup or just eat plain. Revel in the fact that they are SOOO much better than store-bought, and you still have that $5 in your pocket. Coincidentally, a grande frappucino costs just a bit over $5 in Amman, so with the money you've saved going homemade, you can splurge on one of those instead. Because heaven knows, you deserve a frappucino if you just spent an hour cooking homemade tortillas and quesadillas for someone else.

6 comments:

Emily said... [Reply]

I am not a very accomplished cook, and have messed up bread in a breadmaker and brownies from a box.

I will miss our fresh tortillas here, though, so I will have to try this recipe.

Elaine said... [Reply]

Wow, thanks! Um....proportions for two? Any suggestion about fractional parts?

Jill said... [Reply]

I'll admit that I never copy other people's recipes ... but this. THIS, I'm actually going to try.

And rock on with your Starbucks in Amman ... Frankly, you can't put a price on a little piece of home. Get yourself two!

A Daring Adventure said... [Reply]

This week's State Department Blog RoundUp is up- and you're on it (about a hundred million times)!

http://bit.ly/9xcXjv

Have a great weekend!

Connie said... [Reply]

Mmmm! Torillas! I have a simple recipe, but haven't made it work with whole wheat, Thanks!

Bfiles said... [Reply]

oh man, I really hate when you FS spouses start talking about making your own cheese and bread and such. I'm in big trouble. This mama is not much of a cook.

Please. Write your own stuff.