Monday, August 30, 2010

Technical Difficulties

I did everything they told me to do in order to rid my computer life of the Chinese government. One small step I didn't think of, and I don't recall that they suggested: I didn't back up my hard drive right before I pulled the plug.

No, I didn't. I just removed it from the computer and locked it up into a case.

Then I got settled here, and it was finally time to pull some information off of that puppy.

Oh, it works. I can hook it right up to the new computer, do some other magical IT things and presto! There's my hard drive.

Just one problem: there are many, many missing files. My meticulous financial records are gone. My iTunes library is gone. My tracking system for submitting articles is gone. Even my book proposal, which I spent many long hours crafting, disappeared, along with a rough draft of a book. An actual BOOK, people!

Lucky for me, after hours of searching, I found an older version of the book proposal - I'd emailed it to a friend for an opinion awhile back. But everything else seems to be gone, including the draft of the book. My writing files are actually backed up somewhere - I just can't remember where. Probably somewhere in the HHE, which has supposedly steamed into the Port of Aqaba, but likely won't be here any time soon. My financial files are not backed up, I don't think. But I'm not sure.

I am beyond annoyed.

So, folks. Learn from my mistake. Back your stuff up before your last minute stressful move preparations begin. And then remember where you put the backup.

6 comments:

Linsey said... [Reply]

Oh, Donna. That is my nightmare come true. I'm beyond sorry. I know this won't help you now, but we have had success using the online backup service Mozy.com. We have an external hard-drive like you, but the redundancy has already come in handy. Again, I'm terribly sorry and sad for you, I can just imagine your anguish.

On a bright note, I am glad to hear your HHE is nearish. If we see ours before Christmas I'll be very surprised. Hugo Chavez gets the last laugh, despite our best efforts.

Shannon said... [Reply]

How utterly horrible! I do hope you can recover some of that stuff. Have you tracked down someone from IRM to beg a favor and see what they can do? David (my husband) is in IRM and I know he has been able to recover some stuff others thought gone forever, not always but sometimes.

Bfiles said... [Reply]

so sorry. I'm confused about the China factor, though. What actually happened to the hard drive? Was it damaged in transit? Altered by the govt? Confused. But so sorry this happened to you, and thanks for the reminder about backing up.

Jessica said... [Reply]

Awful! So sorry. But excited that you have a real live book proposal. Can't wait to hear more about that project! I'll be the first one in line to buy it.

Alix Bryant said... [Reply]

Hi, I've been stalking your blog for a few weeks now. My husband just started orientation in DC last week. Anyway, I was wondering if you could share your tip on how to blog/facebook while in China. I have a friend who is moving there next month and is beside herself!
Thanks!
Alix
alexandrakbryant@gmail.com
www.thebryantblogger.blogspot.com

nidhi sharma said... [Reply]

Thanks for providing precious information.
email support

Please. Write your own stuff.