Tuesday, August 24, 2010

New Stuff at the Stores

We actually have a Starbucks about 5 minutes away from here. But it is closed for the month of Ramadan. It's also fabulously expensive. Bart and a colleague went to a drive-thru Starbucks across town - the only one open during Ramadan - and they were charged about $30US for 4 drinks. Outrageous!

So I suppose I should use this month to go cold turkey off my coffee habit. I was on track to do just that until I discovered this in the grocery store:



Mr. Brown's coffee in a can. Complete with sugar and milk. It's relatively cheap too - only about $1 a can. Not as good as the 'bucks, but it'll do. And yes, that's a pomegranate in the background. Cheap and delicious - the kids eat them constantly. More from me later - currently I'm waiting for a worker to come figure out why the phone doesn't work.

5 comments:

LeesOnTheGo said... [Reply]

Starbucks? You have officially been entered into my file reserved for "People Who Don't REALLY Live In A Developing Country". For short I sometimes refer to it as "Yeah, Quite Yer Bellyachin'"

$30? Ok. You can bellyache...a little.

FSO Hopeful said... [Reply]

There is a really good cafe/coffee shop right on the corner next to the Starbucks in Abdoun with the drive thru, Blue Fig, and a good friend of mine runs a restaurant and coffee spot down at the end of the street from the Blue Fig.

Definitely has the best lemon and mint in Amman and really good pizzas. It is called Khuttar. If you go ask for Aymann and tell him that Will and Denise sent you!

David L. said... [Reply]

I'm a bit shocked. I'd expect Jordan to have some kick-ass coffee that would trump anything S'bucks brewed. I'm beginning to question my faith in the caffeinated world.

Donna said... [Reply]

Okay, Lees, here's what you have to understand: Jordan is developing, so poor electrical infrastructure and other markers of development are here. But there are also loads of wealthy folks, and the people with money want to spend it: hence the $7 frappucino. It's more 2nd world than 3rd. Bid on it, why don't you? We could hang out and drink coffee in a can together!

Donna said... [Reply]

FSO Hopeful, thanks for the tip. I haven't done much exploring yet, because we have no car and everything's closed for Ramadan, anyway. But I'll check it out.

And David L, I've been told that many of the traditional coffee houses are closed to women. I haven't tried to go in one yet (again: Ramadan), but I have found men in some stores don't exactly jump up to help when I walk in.

Please. Write your own stuff.