Friday, June 11, 2010

Radio Silence

Hard to believe, but we're wheels up in about 24 hours, so this is the last you'll be hearing from me for awhile.

There is so much left to do: shut off phone and internet hookups, kill the computer (shhh, it doesn't know), return the water jugs, attend a teacher conference and a school birthday party, empty the fridge and cupboards, re-pack the welcome kit, finish packing the suitcases, go to the bank, pick up soccer picture, pack one last box for shipping, get my haircut?, take the kids to one last poolside dinner with their friends, say goodbye to zillions of people...

That's just the part of my to-do list that I can easily type up. Oh, and I'm doing it all without a car or a bike, because they're both gone already.

The dog will make it to Seattle, it seems (assuming nice weather in SF), and from there we'll have to find a shipping company to get him to Jordan. Thanks to all who emailed me with shipping suggestions.

Shortly after I post this I will be sending the computer to doggy heaven, or wherever computers go after they've lived in the People's Republic of China for too long. So, while I'll be able to read your comments on my phone, I won't be able to respond.

I'm going to get all sniffly and tear up a little here as I say thanks to all of you who have offered your friendship, support and comments over the years. Who knew, when I started this blog in 2007, that I would end up meeting so many fabulous people because of it? But there you all are, and you've made my time in China that much more fun for your presence.

I will be posting infrequently over the summer, because really: who wants to hear about my adventures in Target? Also, there's the little matter of not having a computer.

But I'll fix that soon: I'll buy a new computer just as soon as possible so that I can keep up with everyone in my google reader. And I'll check in when I can to tell you all what an awesome summer I'm having, living out of suitcases and prepping for Jordan.

To some of you: I'll be seeing you tomorrow, and I am just so excited!

To others: you have no idea how sad I am to have to say goodbye. This part, I hate. But I'll have to keep it together for the kids, who are so sad and mopey that it hurts my heart to do this to them.

So that's it. No words of wisdom, unless you count those of Shay's friend Jack, who said, while thinking about Shay's imminent departure, "This is the worst day of my life." It ain't easy, not for the leavers or for those left behind.

But we're leaving anyway.

Zaijian.

11 comments:

The Johnsons said... [Reply]
This comment has been removed by the author.
FSO Hopeful said... [Reply]

Have a safe trip! And thanks for all the great posts you've written over the last few years. I've read every last one. :)

The Johnsons said... [Reply]

Zai jian, Cyber Pengyou, zai jian!
If the Peking skies are clear tomorrow wave to the Great Wall on your way out. When you land on the other side of the International dateline, breathe deep the West coast air. Run barefoot through a green lawn. Attend a flag waving 4th of July parade. Cruise the aisles @ Target. And rest up... I can't wait to read more "email from the embassy" as your next phase of adventure begins!

Cheers,
Tai Tai Johnson

Bfiles said... [Reply]

best of luck getting it all done! But please don't stop blogging....the reentry and prep for Jordan are all part of the journey...have a safe trip back to the US.

Shannon said... [Reply]

Have a safe trip and a great summer. I look forward to future blog posts whether they are about target or when you are up and running in Amman. Take care.

A Daring Adventure said... [Reply]

I want to read about your shopping at Target!! Heck, I would read about your reading the newspaper or cooking a box of macaroni & cheese!

Can't WAIT until you get your new computer! You'll be so happy!

Wonderful, touching "goodbye" post, Donna. I so love your blog. Best wishes to you all as you move forward.

Erin G said... [Reply]

I was just telling my husband how neat it is to read your expat stories -- I can't believe you're DONE in china. And if it's crazy for me (a rando blog reader across the world), thenI know it's crazy for you and your family!!!

Have a super summer! The blogospere will miss you, but I'm excited to "read along" as you get settled in Jordan!

sdas said... [Reply]
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I'll Take Mine... said... [Reply]

Have a safe trip and enjoy your time with family.

Ambrose said... [Reply]

So many prayers for you and your family and your dog for this next adventure.

Connie said... [Reply]

Safe travels, smooth sailing, happy trails... and have as much fun as you can! Enjoy the summer :) Will miss you while you're gone.. and no, Target wouldn't be boring, we miss Target!, but will see it soon ourselves. See ya when you get here!

Please. Write your own stuff.