Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Penultimate Column

Here it is, folks: the second to last column I'll be writing for beijingkids. My last one, as yet unwritten, is scheduled to go to print in the July/August issue.

It begs the question: What's next? I quit my job at the Embassy, and I'm not sure whether there will be another job waiting for me in Amman. A steady paycheck is certainly nicer than the fits-and-spurts pay I make from selling articles. And yet - I still get a thrill when I see my name in print.

I got an email during my last week of work at the Embassy, from an editor I've worked with in the past. She was looking for a 2000-word article on a very specific topic. Trouble was, she needed it in 48 hours. Did I have something already written that could suit? Truth is, I didn't. But I wanted that assignment. So I spent the next few waking hours drafting. When I finished, I'd churned out 1995 words, and I sent it off. No time to sit and brood over it, which is my normal technique. No, I sent it the very next day, and I heard back today - they bought it! So all of that typing paid off.

I like writing. But I like real paychecks too. What to do, what to do?

Anyway, enjoy the article. I have an opening sentence ready to go for my last column, but I haven't thought past that yet. I'm not quite sure how to say goodbye. One more thing to add to the list.

4 comments:

Connie said... [Reply]

Packing, cleaning, prepping, and you can sit down and focus on an article... you're doing great!! :)

A Daring Adventure said... [Reply]

Love the article! I'm saving it so James can read it later!

Good for you, for dropping everything and working on that article! That's awesome. You're such a great writer.

I can't wait to see what path your life takes when you get to Amman. See, what's nice is that - you're so talented in such a wide variety of areas, that the world really is your oyster! You have so many choices, girl! And that's a good thing. :)

Jessica said... [Reply]

Great article. And enjoy the pepperoni back in the US.

Shannon said... [Reply]

It is always the question to work or not to work at a new post. I finally decided not to try for the CLO position. I think you should follow your heart. If writing is really what you want to do then go for it, even if the income in hit and miss.

Please. Write your own stuff.