Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I Know, I Know

You're all sitting around, anxiously tapping the "refresh" button, hoping for an update.

But we are wheels up in 30 days, people, and there is a lot of stuff to cross off of my to-do list.

I did finish up with work last week, which was sort of bittersweet. This was the first time in more than a decade with the Foreign Service that I found a job I really liked, and for which I had the right skill set. I was working with some of the smartest people in the FS, I'm sure of it. I'm no dummy, but next to these people.... Still, it was time to be done with my paid job so I could focus on the rest of this craziness as it unfolds.

I gave away the crib yesterday, that crib which held four of the most beautiful babies ever to crawl this earth, which means I'll be announcing a pregnancy on this site within two months. I also gave a vanload of toys and clothes away.

But we still have to: reserve rental cars in the States, and find hotel rooms. We have to pack suitcases and lock them away somewhere so they don't accidentally get packed and shipped. We have to make sure our "go-bag," with passports and school records and pink slips and bank account numbers, is hidden in those suitcases - it wouldn't do to ship your passports with your HHE.

I have to schedule two well-child check-ups. Oh, and I have to convince the hospital to stop sending me bills. Seriously, every time I pay off my bill in full and request a note from them stating that I have a zero balance, they find some other little bill they forgot about. I am so ready to be done with this hospital.

I still haven't looked into whether we have traffic tickets, but regardless, I have to go to the ticket police. A good friend asked me to claim his tickets: if you get too many points on your license, you lose it, but if someone else is willing to take your points, you can keep your license. Since we're getting ready to leave, and he has another year, I'll be claiming his tickets.

And I have to solve the problem of what to do with the computer, which apparently has to die a horrible death in order for us to leave here. Lots of file transfering, scanning, cleaning, erasing and then buying anew in the near future.

Don't feel too sorry for me, though. I hired a babysitter and went out to dinner with friends on Saturday: perfect weather, rooftop restaurant, good friends, awesome Chinese food. I got a massage for Mother's Day, courtesy of my awesome husband. On Monday, I gave myself yet another holiday and spent the morning at the gym followed by an afternoon at Starbucks with a novel. Tuesday was move-related stuff all day long, followed by today, which was spent in one of the local markets with friends.

So you see: I complain, but still my life is pretty darn good.

Tomorrow: Day Two at the vet, lunch with former colleagues at the Embassy, a trip to the hospital to visit a sick friend, and more items crossed off that ever-expanding to-do list.

The countdown continues...

5 comments:

A Daring Adventure said... [Reply]

Then let me be the first to congratulate you on your future pregnancy-to-be-announced! What a huge shock! (LOL!)

It's hard - getting rid of the baby items. Really hard.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your job there. Yay! You deserved to. I hope you find just as wonderful a combination in Amman!

(Although, I will say, I was started trying to think about dipping my toe in the EFM waters... and immediately found them to be frozen solid. Not at post or anything! Just... in general. Seems... nearly impossible.)

Blessings to you guys as your last month counts down. I know you're going to be one very busy lady!

Kami said... [Reply]

My sister was called to the June 21st class of FS officers. She'll be in DC June 15. In the States for the first time in 3 years with her Thai finance. I've told her over and over to read your blog. I don't know if she's gotten to it yet. But I love reading it. Gives me an idea of what's in store for her...

Shannon said... [Reply]

Wouldn't it be nice if that to-do list actually got shorter as you crossed things off of it instead of expanding exponentially? Glad you had time to go out to eat and get a massage. Hang in there, not much longer now!

We had our pre-packout survey. Looks like it going to be close. Need to get rid of more junk. How did we get so much STUFF?

Connie said... [Reply]

I am pretty sure my 2nd child happened because I gave away all my maternity cloths :)
Good luck with everything and enjoy your final going away parties!

I'll Take Mine... said... [Reply]

It's good that you can get some fun things mixed in with your lists. I hope the countdown goes smoothly. 30, 29, 28...
:-)

Please. Write your own stuff.