Monday, April 12, 2010

A Life Cut Tragically Short

It's not what you think.

Casey's still limping along, sometimes better, sometimes worse.

No, it's the refrigerator that died this weekend. And why can appliances never die on a weekday?

So, to recap: This weekend we had one sick dog, one dead refrigerator, no electricity for awhile, 800 Chinese workers in our backyard and one flood of some sort, intentionally caused by aforementioned Chinese workers, who offered one unintelligible explanation for why they needed to cut the power and flood the yard.

So what did I do?

I went shopping, of course!

Actually, I'd already put my shopping plan in motion before the weekend fell apart. I saved a pile o cash with the idea of taking it all to George's Lamps and handing it over.

George takes "ordinary" Chinese objects, like old windows, or bells, or birdcages, and turns them into lamps. They aren't cheap, but they are beautiful.

And since we're getting ready to pack out, we need to start buying the things we want to take with us. It ain't Pottery Barn, folks: one of the coolest things about the foreign service is that you can tell where people have lived by the amazing things they have in their houses.

We already have enough pictures and rugs and such-not.

So here are the newest members of our family, courtesy of George. (Sorry I din't think to stage the photos or even straighten the lampshades before shooting...)

These two are jade.


These ones are metal, with some sort of cool etchings (and that little box next it? That's from Iran, via one of the -stans.)


These are pieced together from old Chinese window covers, then wrapped inside with fabric. Really stunning, both on and off.




Now that the electricity is back on, we can even use them!

8 comments:

Z. Marie said... [Reply]

Oh, wow! Those are AWESOME! I can't wait to go a place there's actually stuff I want to buy. (Our first post was a disappointment in that area.)

Bfiles said... [Reply]

those lamps are amazing!!!!!! This is my kind of blog post. :) What is the last item- I assume it opens up w/ storage?

KarenG said... [Reply]

Fantastic lamps! You can open your own store when you get back and call it Chinese Pottery Barn.

Jill said... [Reply]

Wow.... those are gorgeous. And you're right - one of the coolest things about living overseas are the mementos...

Your lamps are gorgeous!

Kami said... [Reply]

Hello! Like I need extra reasons to wanna move to China? Hot stuff! (umm, yeah. I consume...)

于名于倫 said... [Reply]
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Donna said... [Reply]

@ 于名于倫 - Sorry, but I delete comments that aren't written in English. Takes too long to translate.

Connie said... [Reply]

Ooh! Very nice! ... and I generally do not like lamps at all ;D ... I love the last one. How unique.

Please. Write your own stuff.