Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Good News, Bad News

Good News: We finally have travel orders! So we can schedule packouts and buy tickets and generally get ready to get outta here!

Bad News: Now we have to schedule packouts, buy tickets and generally get ready to get outta here.

Good News: We have plane reservations!

Bad News: Turns out that after the cost construct, we're going to be several THOUSAND dollars out of pocket just to sneak into one extra city on the east coast. And that's before we've rented a car, stayed in a hotel or done anything fun.

Good News: After several months of searching and one blog post that mentioned my missing boot, it suddenly reappeared in my closet this evening!

Bad News: After three long paranoid years in Beijing, I will never stop wondering if it has been converted into a "shoe microphone" without my knowledge.

Good News: I spent the whole day at Silk Street, buying pearls and purses and pillows, with a break for the most delicious lunch with dear friends at Hole in the Wall.

Bad News: I gained five pounds. Also, I am crushed by the realization that I will never be able to recreate sesame beef after I leave here.

Good News: Tylenol PM worked, and I slept a solid 8 hours last night!

Bad News: Tylenol PM does not pay me zillions of dollars to sponsor this post.

6 comments:

A Daring Adventure said... [Reply]

ROTFL!!! Shoe microphone! I'm sorry, I know that's not *really* funny... but... it SO is!

And hooray for Tylenol PM!

Congrats on the travel orders... and congrats on the pearls! Pictures?!? I would even settle for pictures of purses!

Girl, you are too funny...

Bfiles said... [Reply]

wow, you have a lot on your plate. Good luck. Sorry about the cost construct. I don't understand what it all means, but I'm sure it's frustrating...

Betsy said... [Reply]

Yay! You got your orders! I hope that you can nail everything down so that you can get all your medical stuff/visiting taken care of while you are in the states.

Blessings,
Betsy

LeesOnTheGo said... [Reply]

Very funny! There certainly are pluses and minuses through this "phase" at post. Glad you are seeing so many pluses.

I laughed about your shoe microphone statement...because I'm sure it's not THAT far from the truth. (In our last post we were so careful about what we said indoors~~particularly when naming anyone who worked for that such&so super secret branch of the service~and did assume the house was bugged). Glad to see I'm not the only one! =)

Yippeee for your family to finally have your TA all finalized!

Connie said... [Reply]

Plus - Yay! Orders! Sure... you already gave it a plus, but I'll give it another :) May everything go smooth from here!

Jill said... [Reply]

Yay for travel orders... they sure do help you breathe easier at night. Let's just hope you don't need too many revisions. We're already on #3

And shoe microphone... remind me to tell you about that story from our Israel days...

Please. Write your own stuff.