Thursday, April 29, 2010

Forty Four

We’re 44 days out from our departure from post. Here’s what 44 days looks like:

We have plane reservations. Sort of. We think. Probably. We don’t have places to stay in 2 of 3 cities, or rental cars anywhere, or any sort of schedule. We also haven’t passed our itinerary to our family (Hi, family! Now you know!).

The dog is hanging on. So I guess we still need to reserve a place for him on the plane(s). And we need to get his rabies vaccine updated before we get to 30 days out. Then he needs an exit inspection, 7-14 days out. And some other bureaucratic something when we’re less than five days out. All downtown somewhere. Chinese language only. Without a car, because that will be gone by then.

We have a pre-pack-out survey scheduled, and two days scheduled for the actual pack-out. 900 pounds of UAB and up to 7200 pounds of HHE. All split and shipped. This is after we pack suitcases and set them aside, with enough stuff to get us through late August, which is when we hope to see our 900-pound UAB shipment again. Probably need to buy a couple new suitcases, too.

We have a new mailing address in Jordan, though we don’t have a housing assignment yet. We have to change addresses for banks and magazines and bills. We have a social sponsor in Jordan, and she’s been writing to me, sending answers to all of my questions. So have two other people I met through this blog. Still, the questions multiply.

We have a line on a new job for our ayi. We have to come up with a large chunk of change for her, because we want to give her a good severance package. She’s been such a blessing on our household; we don’t want her to be stranded and unemployed when we leave.

We’ve notified the schools here that we’re leaving, and the schools there that we’re coming. We’ve faxed report cards and evaluations and recommendations to the new school.

We have doctor appointments lined up for one child who needs them, but not for the other.

We have to settle outstanding hospital bills and pay any traffic tickets. We have going away parties to attend.

We have 2 kids’ birthdays to celebrate between now and then, too. And I have a column due shortly. And life: just everyday life, which is hectic enough.

That is what forty four days looks like.

Should be fun.

14 comments:

A Daring Adventure said... [Reply]

Oh my goodness, that just all sounds... insane.

Truly.

You are Super Mom. Maybe someday I'll be even half that.

LeesOnTheGo said... [Reply]

That just sounds all too familiar and so close in our personal history that it still makes me crazy to think about EVER doing it again. Amazingly, you will get it all done. And with great style, no doubt! You're a pro by now.

Bfiles said... [Reply]

just hanging around eating bon-bons, huh?
good luck managing it all.

globalgal said... [Reply]

So busy! I admire your strength. Just found out I'm moving, too! To Beijing! Sometime in the next 3 weeks. My move will be considerably less stressful than yours, but that hasn't stopped me from feeling overwhelmed. I only need to return to your posts to remind myself moving 700km is nothing. :)

Donna said... [Reply]

Wait a minute Global Gal - to Beijing? When exactly? And where exactly? And, of course, why exactly? We'll have to try to meet up between your entrance and my exit.

A Daring Adventure said... [Reply]

It's Friday, and that means that the Weekly State Department Blog Roundup is up - and you're on it!

Here is the link:

http://bit.ly/9MFF60

(If I quoted your text or used your photo(s) and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you, and/or do not want me to reference you in the future, please also contact me.)

Thanks!

Stephanie Faris said... [Reply]

Wow. And I thought my life was hectic!

C said... [Reply]

Good grief! I do not envy you right now. Such a busy, busy time. Hope everything goes as smoothly as possible!

All the best!

C

Connie said... [Reply]

44 days... will go fast! Then the blissful stress free relief of getting on the plane. That's my favorite part. True, the running around is not over, but I like that initial "And we're off!" moment :)

協盛 said... [Reply]
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
globalgal said... [Reply]

Yes, we're moving to Beijing. My husband just got a job with a private business jet company and will be based at the airport (although we might be living closer in, around Dongzhimen.) We're just waiting for some paperwork and then he'll be moving up there, hopefully sometime this week. I won't be up until after May 19th, when my current contract finishes. I'd love to meet up if it is convenient for you! I know you're busy!

Donna said... [Reply]

Global Gal, send me your email address, or email me directly and we'll figure something out. Would be great to meet up and trade China war stories (though yours are probably worse than mine - you didn't really eat one of those lambies pictured on your blog, did you?).

Donna said... [Reply]

Lees on the Go - you're right, we all do it, and we all get through it and we all hate it. I'll get there, I know... but how?

And Connie, are you INSANE??? You like the plane rides? I don't think we can be friends. I hate the plane rides. Besides, you just know I'm going to cry...

Connie said... [Reply]

:D No, not insane. I just find getting on the plane, sitting down to take off forever and ever, AFTER all the chaos and insanity leading up to that particular point of PCS'ing, to be a blessed moment of peace. Even if things did not go well or were left half undone for friends to throw at you after the fact, whatever... there's the moment in the plane seat where it just doesn't matter anymore. It's done, you're on the way, no matter what, it's out of your hands... such relief and a sense of freedom! (It doesn't last, I know, but it's a very good moment).

Please. Write your own stuff.