Thursday, March 4, 2010

It's All Good.. Except When It's Not

So many things to say, so little time.

I suppose I should be pleased that I have two sick kids today and I'm not going to work. Aidan came in my room this morning and said "my stomach hurts and last night I threw up." Ummm, last night? I had to investigate.

Sure enough, at some point in the night he vomited over the side of the bunk bed. That stuff sure can splatter when you heave from the top of a bunk bed. And then, for some strange reason, he rolled over and went back to sleep, leaving it to congeal and harden all over the floor.

What a fun morning I had, cleaning up! I had to - how shall I phrase this? - reconstitute the stuff in order to clean up. Disgusting.

I'm not feeling so well myself, and I can't tell if I'm getting the same stomach bug the boys have, or if the morning's activity just turned my stomach. Time will tell.

And speaking of time, there are less than 18 hours to go in World Maths Day. Never heard of it? Neither had I. Why is "Maths" plural? No idea. Aidan's teacher signed the whole class up on this website, and they've been going on line all week to compete against kids all across the globe. At the beginning of the week, it was just practice matches. Now it's for real - the clock started ticking yesterday, and they can compete in a certain number of minute-long arithmetic challenges, each time against different kids with whom the computer links them up. Aidan loves it, and I find myself in the unique position of having to say "stop doing all that math RIGHT NOW because it's dinner time." Whoever created that site needs a MacArthur Genius Award. And then they can maybe give me some of the money they've been awarded, so I can buy my kids their own computer so I can have mine back already.

Kudos to his teacher for enrolling the kids and teaching them how to use the site. What a great teacher! What a fabulous school!

Stayed tuned for my next post: all the reasons why the school sucks. Well, just one reason, really. But it's a big one, involving bullies and administrators who turn a blind eye.

13 comments:

Betsy said... [Reply]

Just reading your clean up description was enough to make my tummy queasy. I'm praying that you don't get the stomach virus too.

T. said... [Reply]

Stopping by from SITS to say hello, hope your house is soon filled with wellness :)
T.

Cheryl said... [Reply]

Visiting from SITS

I feel your pain. I got barfed on today. So did the couch. Motherhood: it ain't for woosies! LOL

Oh! Enjoy your time in Beijing. Sounds like you've lived in some fascinating places!

http://specialsauceinthehouse.blogspot.com

Shannon said... [Reply]

Barf and bunkbeds never go well together. Been there done that. Feel for you! Hope all are better soon.

I saw a poster for world maths day at school but didn't pay much attention. now I wish I had. Darn it!

Denise said... [Reply]

I know it is too late, but what is great for this is the Shark Steam Mop. It takes up EVERYTHING. My pup has a week stomach and she gets into things left behind by the kids. It is the most stubborn stuff to get up. The Shark steam mop will release from tile or carpet. Best thing I ever got and I got as a Christmas gift. My policy usually is an appliance is a no-no as a gift. This one I love!
Stopping by from SITS to say Hi!
I am adding you so I can come back & read more!
Please stop by!
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com

xoxoKrysten said... [Reply]

Oh your poor boys. And poor you! I hope you're all feeling better soon!

Writing Without Periods! said... [Reply]

Aw, I feel badly for your kids...and you. I used to hate to clean up that "stuff" However it made me tough.
Mary

Yankee Girl said... [Reply]

Reconstituted vomit? Sounds awesome.

Hope you both are feeling better soon!

MommyLovesStilettos said... [Reply]

Ewwww cleaning up vomit is the worst. I'll change ANY diaper over cleaning up vomit. My stomach can NOT handle that.

A Daring Adventure said... [Reply]

It's Friday, and that means that the Third Weekly State Department Blog Roundup is up - and you're on it!

Here is the link:

http://bit.ly/9hUsvA

(If I quoted your text or used your photo(s) and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you, and/or do not want me to reference you in the future, please also contact me.)

Thanks!

Connie said... [Reply]

Yet another reason why I am glad to not have bunk beds... yours is not the first story I've heard this week about sick kids and the effect height has on vomit. (I don't blame Aidan though, I bet he probably felt much better after he threw up and it was a relief to roll over and go back to sleep!)
My daughter has had that World Math thing.. I think they've been doing it at school. She was sent a password to work at home, but come on! She's in first grade. After school, reading, homework, etc. she's DONE with sitting still. She'll 'play' at math when she feels like it (we have activity books, and she was trying to fill in a multiplication table today because she likes to do what her brother does) but she has enough during the school week.
Hope you all feel better soon!

12356 said... [Reply]

今天心情很好..你心情好嗎?........................................

Bikegirl72 said... [Reply]

I hear ya on the barf and bunk beds. Why does the kid on the top always have to throw up?

I hope everyone is feeling better now.

Nicole chasingblue.wordpress.com
visiting from SITS

Please. Write your own stuff.