Friday, March 12, 2010

And Now For Something Completely Different...

Well, look here: the State Department just published its 2009 Country Reports on Human Rights. And there's even a report for China. You should read it. It mentions well-known cases like that of Liu Xiaobo, who was sentenced to 11 years in prison on Christmas Day just because he wrote something the government didn't like. It also mentions Gao Zhisheng. He's a human rights lawyer. Or at least, he was: He disappeared over a year ago, while in police custody, and the government won't say what happened to him. His family escaped from China on foot - they're safely in the United States now. But where is he?

I'm willing to bet that the person who researched and wrote the first draft of this report had nightmares about Gao Zhisheng.

In fact, I'm sure of it.

5 comments:

globalgal said... [Reply]

Sobering report. I noticed that Chen Guangcheng and his wife are mentioned... His case is the first thing I read about when researching Linyi, where I live now. Not much I can say but how frustrating to know all of this yet nothing can be done.

Ambrose said... [Reply]

I hope that person is doing better.

Writing Without Periods! said... [Reply]

Wow, that's very serious.
Mary

The Johnsons said... [Reply]

Thanks for posting this. It was sobering to read. It [the report] also provides answers to many of the questions I have had, and people at home have asked about our host country.

A Daring Adventure said... [Reply]

Hi Donna!

Thanks so much for the comment on the latest Roundup that I did. I'm sorry that iweb didn't let you access the Roundup site these last few weeks.

I compiled what I had written during those weeks that included your blog posts from that time and have published them (text-only) so that you can see what everyone else who could access the site has been reading about you!

http://bit.ly/ddvVOp

I have since moved blog sites, and am now using Typepad, so hopefully this won't be an issue anymore!

Please. Write your own stuff.