Sunday, February 21, 2010

If Ye Are A Parent, Ye Shall Laugh Mightily

It was just Ash Saturday here in Beijing. Ash Saturday, you wonder? Yes, Ash Saturday, because our super-secret church was not allowed to meet on Wednesday. So we went instead on Saturday, and had ashes placed on our foreheads, and for some reason my kids were all well behaved throughout the service, and I said a little "Thanks Be to God" when the service ended without my once having to remove a child from the service for a little Mommy and Me time in the vestibule, or whatever church people call the entryway area thingamajig.

For Lent this year I am giving up shouting. Yes, shouting. I am trying my best to stop yelling things like "Turn Off That Nintendo Now Young Man!" and "Stop Hitting Your Brother!" and "Don't Hang The Baby Upside Down!" and "Bath Water is Not For Drinking!"

Perhaps this article found its way to me because of my new Lenten promise. Why, oh why, have I never read this before?

Seriously, you must click over and read. You must.

Oh, and p.s. if you must know, Shay decided that for Lent, he will give up his much-dreaded swimming class. Big of him, don't you think? I suggested that, instead of giving up the actual swimming, he just give up whining about it for a solid hour before it starts each week. Coincidentally, if he'd give up whining, it'd be easier for me to give up yelling.

'nuff said. Go check out that link. The boys start school tomorrow, and I am off to read awhile before bedtime.

3 comments:

Betsy said... [Reply]

That article is too funny! Hope the giving up screaming goes well - I'm not sure I would be brave enough to give it up for Lent.

Blessings,
Betsy

A Daring Adventure said... [Reply]

Donna, that was So. Funny.

Giving up yelling for Lent. LOL!

And that article was absolutely hilarious! I emailed the link to all my family/friends with young children!

Connie said... [Reply]

Great article! Thank you! And yes, I shall spread this blessing to other parents in my know :)

Good luck with your vow for Lent - that's a tough one. I wish I could keep my voice down sometimes... but then wonder how I'd be heard over the noise, or even get their attention?? sigh... Good idea though.

Please. Write your own stuff.