Friday, January 15, 2010

What's Next For Us?

Can it be? I started this blog back in June, 2007, with a post about the mechanics of packing up and moving to Beijing. Back then, Shay was getting ready to start the 2nd grade, and he was none too happy about moving to China. Aidan was a pre-schooler. Kyra wasn't walking or talking yet - she was younger than Ainsley is now. And Ainsley - well, we had no idea she'd soon be joining us.

But here it is, 2010 already. We have just five months left in Beijing before it's time to pack the house up once again and move.

To Amman, Jordan.

That's our onward assignment. Amman, Jordan. If anyone out there has been and can offer up some info (Connie?), I'm all ears.

A quick recap, for those of you who are just joining us. Our Foreign Service trail looks like this: Moscow, Armenia, Kazakhstan, DC, Beijing... and now, Amman.

It's a strange and wonderful life we're living. Remind me of that, please, in August, when I'm once again lost and friendless in a strange land.

11 comments:

globalgal said... [Reply]

Wow! Amman! We very nearly moved there several years ago. I want to go just for the food! It must be a relief to finally know where you are headed.

Jill said... [Reply]

Woo hoo!!!! After spending 2 tours in the Middle East, I can honestly say I really love it there and yearn to go back... someday!

We were next door to Jordan - in Tel Aviv for 3 years... only went to Jordan once (to see Petra). But, I've had many friends there - who all loved it. I hear housing is nice and big, the school sounds good, and the food... oh the food is divine!

When you're ready to take some trips into Israel (about a 4-5 hour drive) - e-mail me... I'll give you ALL my favorite stores to go to, restaurants to eat at, and places to stay. We traveled everywhere!

CONGRATS!!! So exciting!!!

LeesOnTheGo said... [Reply]

Congratulations on the EXCELLENT news! I've heard fantastic things about Jordan and I believe ever single one of them! Happy pack-out planning!

Shannon said... [Reply]

WOOHOO! An answer at last. And Jordan sounds like a wonderful post. I look forward to reading about your adventures. You will be hitting Jordan about the same time we hit Malawi and once reality settles in it helps me to know there others in other places trying to adapt to a whole new normal.

Erin G said... [Reply]

and finally you have an answer! yay, amman sounds cool! congratulations!

hannah said... [Reply]

Oh, Amman is lovely! The Embassy housing's quite nice, and it's such a pleasant country. You'll love it!

C said... [Reply]

Congratulations! I've heard nothing but great things about Amman. Hope you enjoy it!

Connie said... [Reply]

Amman is lovely ... and clean, and warm!... oh! There is so much :D ! We still feel relatively new-ish here, but should be pros by next summer. I think our rough landing (kids sick, hubby's blood clot, still no HHE - not blaming this end for that - etc.) has extended this sensation of being a 'newbie', but we're getting there, and feeling more and more settled each day. I'm here if you need me, via my blog or email qitty1(at)gmail(dot)com. And congrats for FINALLY getting word on your assignment!

Maria Meldrum said... [Reply]
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jonathan P. Howard said... [Reply]

I have friends who are moving there as I write! They have been before for a summer and now have a 2 year tour. They love it!

Jen said... [Reply]

Congratulations! We bid on Amman years ago, but ended up in Caracas instead. Would still love to go there someday, but need to get through our upcoming UT first.

Look forward to reading about it!

Please. Write your own stuff.