Saturday, December 19, 2009

Our Holiday Party

Last year we didn't have our holiday party because we were on a beach in Thailand (I know, I know - some aspects of foreign service life are harder than others). The year before, if I recall correctly, we didn't have our party because I was pregnant and still newly-deaf and just plain not-in-the-mood.

This year, we restarted the tradition. About 50 people showed up at the house last night, and though you might not be interested in the details, I need to record them for posterity's sake.

We made: peppermint fudge, marshmallow fudge, white and dark chocolate peppermint bark, 7-layer bars, almond sea salt bark, walnut dreams, marshmallow-peanut butter brownies, butterfinger-somethings, coconut macaroons, chocolate chip peppermint bark cookies. We made: black bean chipotle hummus, plain hummus, veggies and dip, apples with rasperry-yogurt dip and basil-brie dip, baked garlic-honey brie. (Then we got tired so we ordered chicken skewers for delivery.) We made: champagne punch and hot apple cider, which we served alongside wine, pelligrino and rum-and-cokes for the Marines.

Friends came early to help light luminaria and put desserts on platters. Shay designed a little box to solicit donations for "Holiday Hounds," to help cats and dogs in a nearby shelter. I ate entirely too many scraps as I baked: after all, you can't put those crooked end pieces on a nice platter, but you hate to just throw them out.

It was exhausting and fun and I'm glad we did it.

5 comments:

Jill said... [Reply]

I always enjoy hearing about holiday parties - and I for one love the detail...

BTW - I had no idea about losing hearing in your ear... oh my goodness! You wrote a fabulous article about it - it was very interesting.

There's an officer here at post who was born deaf - and her parents never allowed her to learn sign language, rather she learned how to read lips. We go out with her and her husband a lot (in fact, we're going to their holiday party tonight), and I have to remind myself all the time to always look directly at her when I talk, and make sure that I don't cover my mouth with my hands...

Deborah said... [Reply]

Sounds like fun! Wish we could be there...and not JUST for the rum and cokes...and marines ;)

carma said... [Reply]

Wow! You put on quite a spread...

Sorry to hear about the situation with your hearing. I have otosclerosis and have lost a lot of the hearing in my right ear. I can't hear either if my bad ear is towards my husband in bed. I feel like an old lady "what, what did you say??" (of course, that is when I am not pretending that I heard what he said...)

Welcome to SITS. I know that you will enjoy being a part of this vibrant community of bloggers :-)

Mommyof2girlz said... [Reply]

Reading your list of stuff you made is making me sooo hungry..lol Stopping in from SITS to welcome you to the group, it's nice to meet you :)

Life with Kaishon said... [Reply]

Oh my goodness your party sounds fun! And your menu sounds positively DELISH! Love it!

Please. Write your own stuff.