Monday, December 14, 2009

More on Bidding

We turned in our bids for our next assignment way back at the beginning of October.

And we waited.

And waited.

And waited.

But they take their time, and unless you have a really good CDO (career development officer), they usually don't tell you what they're up to. So you just sit around and wait, and imagine yourself living in places like London, or Paris, or Ougadougou.

We had to put down a minimum of 6 bids. We put down 6 overseas and 3 domestic.

Well, it appears that last week they finally started making assignments on my husband's level. At last! We know this because he went to work this morning and discovered....

....

....

....

.... (is the suspense killing you yet?)

....

Yes, we discovered that FOUR of our SIX overseas bids had gone to other bidders overnight. That's goodbye to Ankara, Madrid, Lima and Brasilia. We only have 2 more overseas bids left: Amman and Geneva.

So it isn't looking good for us. I spent the better part of my morning moping around at work, grumpy and irritated. I knew we wouldn't get Madrid, but c'mon: what's wrong with Ankara?

To make matters worse, we are now left with only 5 bids on our list. Which means we're required to go back through the list and add one more of the posts that we previously rejected, in order to keep 6 places on the list. And if we add it, we could get it, so you have to be careful about what you add.

Just for once, you know, it would be nice to get something you really wanted. I know, I know: that isn't how it works. But still...

I went back to Real Post Reports today, to start looking around at other overseas posts. One of the posts that I might consider putting next in line on a bid list actually has a review that states, in part: "Crime is insane. Had a couple of murders and shootings of embassy personnel, both American and locals." Gulp.

And with that, I'm off to sulk some more.

10 comments:

Linsey said... [Reply]

The whole process is dreadful -- having little to no control and watching things play out not in your favor. I'm sorry about the 4 posts that have been assigned, but hope springs eternal for Geneva and Amman and whatever you decided to dredge up from the reject pile. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Shannon said... [Reply]

Bidding is awful, just awful and to still be waiting in December...insane. I hope you get some good news soon.

Betsy said... [Reply]

We have similar issues in the military. Even after they tell you where you are going (unless it is someplace really crappy!), you can never believe it until the moving truck pulls up to pack your belonging.

Can they give you a place not on your list? Hope it all works out.

Jill said... [Reply]

I'm so sorry that you haven't been paneled yet. I actually know who got Ankara - small crazy world it is out there.

Our ARSO-I still hasn't been paneled either - I think his wife has crawled up the walls and back several hundreds of times in the past few weeks. Sadly, they're BEGGING for Bamako... from here... can you believe it?

Oye - we still have 8 months before our bid list comes out and I already have angst.

Best of luck to you!!! All my fingers and toes are crossed.

Erin G said... [Reply]

I know that's a bummer. But Amman or Geneva could also be really cool. And if you add another international destination when you re-do your list, that could be cool too. But really, ANY place could be great with the right boss and good neighbors and friends, and new things for your kids to learn. MAKE yourself smile, and you will feel better.

Jen said... [Reply]

It seems as though they drag out the process more and more each year. Argh! Hope you find out soon and good luck!

LeesOnTheGo said... [Reply]

There is a whole world of us who know exactly what you are going through. It's tough to wait and hope, and wait and hope... The Real Post Report you referred to (ie murder and insane crime) sounds like what I read about our current/new post (Nairobi). Don't put too much trust in those reports...it's not as bad as it can be made out to sound.

Here's hoping for the best for you!

Connie said... [Reply]

Here's hoping they're delaying your answer because they have something really beautiful on hold for you... we can hope, right?!?! Good luck, and I hope they give you an answer (a good one) soon!

Maria Meldrum said... [Reply]

We have been thinking about you. My kids are keeping count and they know it's been 2 1/2 years since you left, and they want to know what the deal is. We'll keep checking back to see what you find out...best of luck!

Jonathan P. Howard said... [Reply]

I agree with leesonthego...come to Nairobi! It's a great place for families! We say it's Africa's best kept secret!
-Laurie

Please. Write your own stuff.