Sunday, December 13, 2009

I Should Be Sleeping

...but I'm not. Obviously.

Yesterday, we decided to go to church, for the first time in a long while. It's not entirely our fault that we haven't been. The local government shut down our super-secret, let's-pretend-this-is-a-party-and-not-a-church-service ceremonies right around the Tiananmen anniversary, and they never let us start back up. Perhaps the churchy-type music emanating from the party room every Saturday night clued them in? Who knows?

Church finally started up again, in a new location, not far from home. It's still an underground, secret handshaky kind of place - no locals allowed, because... well, I don't know why exactly, but they don't want us converting them, I guess.

We set out for church a few minutes early so we could stop at the flower market on the way and buy poinsettias. I ran in while Bart and the kids waited in the car. It took about 5 minutes, during which time Bart was listening to music in the car.

When I returned, I turned the key and - no battery. We were stuck in the parking lot, just down the road from church. I called the auto club people (yes, we have a little club that we pay into for precisely this reason, just like back home). I tried to explain where we were. It took awhile to explain, but we got it sorted out, and a nice guy showed up to jump the car.

I drove down the street, now 30 minutes late for mass, and Ainsley and I sat in the car, motor running, while everyone else went in for the end of the service.

Let's just say it wasn't the best church day ever. But I did say a little prayer of thanks that the car died so close to the house. Because it could have been much, much worse.

That was yesterday. Today the car was fine. We drove to a new burger restaurant that I'm supposed to be reviewing for a local magazine. Watched "It's a Wonderful Life" with the kids. Went to a Christmas party at the neighbor's. Ate dinner. Only then did I realize I was out of milk. I ran out to the car and - can you guess? Dead battery. Only this time, it appears that one of the kids turned on a ceiling light in the car and neglected to turn it off.

Ummm, yes, I was pretty annoyed. The nice car guy came over and jumped the car again. But by that time, the store was closed, so no milk for breakfast tomorrow.

I really, really hope the car starts tomorrow. And I think I'll be looking in to how one gets a new battery for a U.S. car here in China. Also, I plan to staple the kids' hands to the seats whenever they're riding in the back of the car.

1 comments:

Connie said... [Reply]

Staples are messy. I recommended some of that double-sided velcro stuff.

Please. Write your own stuff.