Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Eighteen Point Nine Liters

18.9 liters.

That's how much distilled water is contained in just one bottle for our dispenser. We have it delivered, because we can't drink or cook with the tap water in Beijing. So our 18.9 liter bottle sits jauntily astride the dispenser in the kitchen, just waiting for a thirsty person to happen by.

But sometimes, no one is thirsty. Like yesterday. I wasn't in the kitchen. I was in the living room, watching the boys play with the airplanes Uncle Sean sent (thanks Sean - those things rock!). Bart wasn't in the kitchen - he was in the office, placing an internet order. Kyra wasn't in the kitchen. She was running between the airplanes and the office.

Ainsley was is the kitchen. Ainsley, whose favorite Chinese expression is "xi shou," which means "wash hands." Ainsley, who realized yesterday that you can certainly "xi shou" quite nicely with water direct from the dispenser. In fact, if no one is looking, you can just open the spout and wash those hands sparkling clean - with all 18.9 liters of water.

I'm not terribly good at gallon to liter conversions. So I can't tell you exactly how many gallons our dispenser holds. But I can tell you that 18.9 liters is enough to make a mighty fine pond in the kitchen.

5 comments:

Connie said... [Reply]

Oh my! 18.9 liters is about 4.75 gallons (I am no good at conversion either, but I have a yahoo widget thingy on my desktop that is good at it!) At least it was water and 'wash hands', and not cooking oil and 'slippery!'. The things we have to tell our kids to NOT do... whee!

The Mom @ Babes in Hairland said... [Reply]

Oh my goodness. That's hilarious - but NOT! Hopefully you were able to get it cleaned up without it going elsewhere in your house. Just stopping over from SITS to say hi & welcome to the gang! Have a Happy New Year.

I'm Kami. said... [Reply]

Hi there! I came across your blog through a comment you left on Mom-101's site. I'm so excited to have found you! My sister just passed her foreign service exam. So I passed your url onto her as well. And on an unrelated note, my husband and I are seriously contemplating moving our family abroad in the not too distant future...I look forward to keeping up with you and reading your back posts. Yay!

greedygrace said... [Reply]

YIKES! Good thing it was only water, but what a mess!


I came by to welcome you to SITS! We're happy to have you with us!

C said... [Reply]

Eek! That's a lot of water!

Please. Write your own stuff.